AFRICA - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The economic and political development in Africa is related to the integral development of the people living on the continent. Most Rev. Gabriel Mbilingi, Archbishop of Lubango (Angola) and President of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM) made these remarks during the conference
"The Church in Africa: from Vatican Council II to the Third Millennium – Africa’s Homage to Popes John XXIII and John Paul II", taking place at the Urbaniana University in Rome.
Mgr. Mbilingi appealed to Africans not to depend too much from outside but to rely greatly on their own human and material resources for the common good of the continent.
The Archbishop expressed his hope that the "Faith, Culture and Development Forum" contributes to the human and spiritual development of the African people. According to the President of SECAM, the Church in Africa also wants to play a greater role in the construction of a new cultural identity for the Continent. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2014)
- 2014-10-10 - The campaign "Let us turn over a new leaf, for democratic change in Africa" has been launched
- 2014-09-25 - Ebola and witchcraft: children accused of causing the spread of the virus
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed
- 2014-06-23 - "Immigrants are transforming our Church", say the Catholic Bishops of North Africa
- 2014-06-11 - Economics and Finance: Is Africa the continent of the future?
- 2014-04-25 - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
- 2013-12-02 - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
- 2013-11-20 - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
- 2013-11-12 - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
- 2013-10-15 - The wishes of the Catholic Church in Africa to the Muslim faithful for the feast of Aid El Adha