AFRICA - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The economic and political development in Africa is related to the integral development of the people living on the continent. Most Rev. Gabriel Mbilingi, Archbishop of Lubango (Angola) and President of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM) made these remarks during the conference
"The Church in Africa: from Vatican Council II to the Third Millennium – Africa’s Homage to Popes John XXIII and John Paul II", taking place at the Urbaniana University in Rome.
Mgr. Mbilingi appealed to Africans not to depend too much from outside but to rely greatly on their own human and material resources for the common good of the continent.
The Archbishop expressed his hope that the "Faith, Culture and Development Forum" contributes to the human and spiritual development of the African people. According to the President of SECAM, the Church in Africa also wants to play a greater role in the construction of a new cultural identity for the Continent. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2014)
- 2015-10-12 - Ugandan Bishops: "Pope Francis comes here as a bridge builder"
- 2015-09-30 - Bishops on the challenges regarding the family in Africa: poverty, war, ecological crisis, contrary ideologies
- 2015-09-22 - Africa prepares to welcome Pope Francis
- 2015-06-10 - "The main problem in Africa is the crisis of values", says a UN African Special Representative
- 2015-04-20 - Senegalese NGO: "An international coalition to combat human trafficking"
- 2015-03-26 - Rome -Caritas meeting: A million displaced persons and refugees fleeing Boko Haram
- 2015-03-18 - AFRICA – One out of 5 people with Ebola is a child
- 2015-03-14 - "Africa, a continent on the move", Africa is always more part of the global village
- 2015-03-02 - "Do not lose hope aroused by the Arab Spring", say the Bishops of North Africa
- 2015-01-08 - The Holy See expresses gratitude to local Churches in Africa fighting Ebola