ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the people celebrate the reconciliation among Palestinian political forces
Ramallah (Agenzia Fides) - "The people here are all happy, and the Palestinians of Gaza are even happier than us". This is how the Catholic Palestinian priest Raed Abusahlia, General Director of Caritas Jerusalem describes to Fides Agency the feelings that prevail in the Palestinian population after the announcement of reconciliation between Hamas - the Party – an Islamist movement that controls the Gaza Strip - and political forces linked to the PLO, which lead the Palestinian National Authority.
In talks between representatives of Hamas and Fatah envoys (the party of Palestinian President Abu Mazen) the formation was agreed, within five weeks, of a Palestinian government of national unity. Within six months the Palestinians will be called to vote to elect a new national Legislative Council. "The reconciliation among Palestinian political forces", notes Fr. Raed, "has provoked negative reactions in Israel and also in the USA. But the division among Palestinians was a factor that weakened the peace process. The whole world thought: with what force can the Palestinians participate in the peace process if they are divided among themselves?" According to the priest of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, "the path to achieve effective reconciliation will be long and difficult. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2014)
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence
- 2015-10-14 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the block of East Jerusalem feeds anger and feelings of revenge