ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the people celebrate the reconciliation among Palestinian political forces
Ramallah (Agenzia Fides) - "The people here are all happy, and the Palestinians of Gaza are even happier than us". This is how the Catholic Palestinian priest Raed Abusahlia, General Director of Caritas Jerusalem describes to Fides Agency the feelings that prevail in the Palestinian population after the announcement of reconciliation between Hamas - the Party – an Islamist movement that controls the Gaza Strip - and political forces linked to the PLO, which lead the Palestinian National Authority.
In talks between representatives of Hamas and Fatah envoys (the party of Palestinian President Abu Mazen) the formation was agreed, within five weeks, of a Palestinian government of national unity. Within six months the Palestinians will be called to vote to elect a new national Legislative Council. "The reconciliation among Palestinian political forces", notes Fr. Raed, "has provoked negative reactions in Israel and also in the USA. But the division among Palestinians was a factor that weakened the peace process. The whole world thought: with what force can the Palestinians participate in the peace process if they are divided among themselves?" According to the priest of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, "the path to achieve effective reconciliation will be long and difficult. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2014)
- 2015-03-23 - Palestinian President invited to the canonization on 17 May
- 2015-03-12 - The Catholic Bishops: necessity to rebuild Gaza, support schools, help refugees and immigrants
- 2015-03-09 - Liturgy at the Holy Sepulchre to commemorate the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem
- 2015-02-12 - Palestinian Mayors: the Wall in the Cremisan Valley will suffocate the presence of Christians
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year