ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the people celebrate the reconciliation among Palestinian political forces
Ramallah (Agenzia Fides) - "The people here are all happy, and the Palestinians of Gaza are even happier than us". This is how the Catholic Palestinian priest Raed Abusahlia, General Director of Caritas Jerusalem describes to Fides Agency the feelings that prevail in the Palestinian population after the announcement of reconciliation between Hamas - the Party – an Islamist movement that controls the Gaza Strip - and political forces linked to the PLO, which lead the Palestinian National Authority.
In talks between representatives of Hamas and Fatah envoys (the party of Palestinian President Abu Mazen) the formation was agreed, within five weeks, of a Palestinian government of national unity. Within six months the Palestinians will be called to vote to elect a new national Legislative Council. "The reconciliation among Palestinian political forces", notes Fr. Raed, "has provoked negative reactions in Israel and also in the USA. But the division among Palestinians was a factor that weakened the peace process. The whole world thought: with what force can the Palestinians participate in the peace process if they are divided among themselves?" According to the priest of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, "the path to achieve effective reconciliation will be long and difficult. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2014)
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge
- 2014-11-11 - The Heads of Churches in Jerusalem visit the Esplanade of the Mosques
- 2014-11-07 - The Heads of Churches: no one must violate the "status quo" on the Holy Sites of Jerusalem
- 2014-11-06 - Two future Saints for the Holy Land