ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the people celebrate the reconciliation among Palestinian political forces
Ramallah (Agenzia Fides) - "The people here are all happy, and the Palestinians of Gaza are even happier than us". This is how the Catholic Palestinian priest Raed Abusahlia, General Director of Caritas Jerusalem describes to Fides Agency the feelings that prevail in the Palestinian population after the announcement of reconciliation between Hamas - the Party – an Islamist movement that controls the Gaza Strip - and political forces linked to the PLO, which lead the Palestinian National Authority.
In talks between representatives of Hamas and Fatah envoys (the party of Palestinian President Abu Mazen) the formation was agreed, within five weeks, of a Palestinian government of national unity. Within six months the Palestinians will be called to vote to elect a new national Legislative Council. "The reconciliation among Palestinian political forces", notes Fr. Raed, "has provoked negative reactions in Israel and also in the USA. But the division among Palestinians was a factor that weakened the peace process. The whole world thought: with what force can the Palestinians participate in the peace process if they are divided among themselves?" According to the priest of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, "the path to achieve effective reconciliation will be long and difficult. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2014)
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community
- 2014-07-17 - Gaza, three missiles close to the Catholic parish. Scuffle to look for food during the "humanitarian truce"
- 2014-07-15 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Gaza, proposal of truce. The director of Caritas Jerusalem: it is urgent to intervene immediately to assist victims
- 2014-07-10 - Third day of raids on Gaza. Caritas Jerusalem: security is not achieved by killing innocent children
- 2014-07-09 - Escalation in Gaza. Justice and Peace: "collective punishment" is inflicted on the Palestinian people
- 2014-07-04 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: there is also a political use of the drug market in the Holy City
- 2014-07-02 - A young Palestinian kidnapped and killed. Patriarch Twal: Stop human sacrifice
- 2014-07-01 - Father David Neuhaus SJ: sorrow and grief over the killing of the three teens, it is necessary to put an end to the cycle of violence