ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the people celebrate the reconciliation among Palestinian political forces
Ramallah (Agenzia Fides) - "The people here are all happy, and the Palestinians of Gaza are even happier than us". This is how the Catholic Palestinian priest Raed Abusahlia, General Director of Caritas Jerusalem describes to Fides Agency the feelings that prevail in the Palestinian population after the announcement of reconciliation between Hamas - the Party – an Islamist movement that controls the Gaza Strip - and political forces linked to the PLO, which lead the Palestinian National Authority.
In talks between representatives of Hamas and Fatah envoys (the party of Palestinian President Abu Mazen) the formation was agreed, within five weeks, of a Palestinian government of national unity. Within six months the Palestinians will be called to vote to elect a new national Legislative Council. "The reconciliation among Palestinian political forces", notes Fr. Raed, "has provoked negative reactions in Israel and also in the USA. But the division among Palestinians was a factor that weakened the peace process. The whole world thought: with what force can the Palestinians participate in the peace process if they are divided among themselves?" According to the priest of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, "the path to achieve effective reconciliation will be long and difficult. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2014)
- 2014-09-23 - Water emergency in Gaza, initiatives of AGIRE network
- 2014-09-22 - The Catholic Bishops: the recognition of the "Aramean" nationality aims to divide the Palestinian Christians from others
- 2014-09-17 - 240,000 children return to school in Gaza
- 2014-09-17 - Patriarch Twal: the presence of Christian immigrants is an asset for the local church
- 2014-09-12 - Catholic Episcopal Commission: pilgrims are messengers of peace between Palestinians and Israelis
- 2014-09-10 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – US Catholic Bishops make Holy Land pilgrimage to 'pray for peace'
- 2014-09-09 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – New equipe for missionary animation in the land of Jesus
- 2014-09-04 - Caritas Jerusalem: in Gaza 400,000 children need psychological care
- 2014-09-02 - Latin Patriarchal delegation visits Gaza: “it is like the cities devastated by World War II”
- 2014-08-30 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Catholic schools cancel strike, but Israeli government talks of ‘take over’