AMERICA/HONDURAS - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
Yoro (Agenzia Fides) - Another person who works in the popular media has been murdered in Honduras: we are talking about Carlos Hilario Mejia Orellana, head of the marketing and sales of "Radio Progreso", a member of the Equipe of Reflection, Investigation and Communication (ERIC) of the Society of Jesus in Honduras. The man was stabbed to death on Friday, April 11 in his home in the town of Progreso, Yoro Department, in the north of the country, in spite of the fact he enjoyed individual protection measures assigned by the Inter-American Commission for Human Rights since 2009.
"This criminal act against Carlos Mejia Orellana - said the Jesuit priest Ismael Moreno, director of the radio and also a member of the ERIC, in the statement sent to Fides him - is a blow against our work, against our institution and so we have to denounce this fact, because it violates the work of communication, it violates our right to freedom of expression and violates life of every member of our team. The fact that this criminal act took place on the eve of Holy Week, when everything is closed for the holidays, especially the institutions responsible for the administration of justice" is highly suspicious.
The appeal to a serious and rigorous investigation to clarify the circumstances of the murder and punish the guilty, was launched by the NGOs working in the area, by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), with the support of Fr. Ismael Moreno. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula