AMERICA/HONDURAS - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
Yoro (Agenzia Fides) - Another person who works in the popular media has been murdered in Honduras: we are talking about Carlos Hilario Mejia Orellana, head of the marketing and sales of "Radio Progreso", a member of the Equipe of Reflection, Investigation and Communication (ERIC) of the Society of Jesus in Honduras. The man was stabbed to death on Friday, April 11 in his home in the town of Progreso, Yoro Department, in the north of the country, in spite of the fact he enjoyed individual protection measures assigned by the Inter-American Commission for Human Rights since 2009.
"This criminal act against Carlos Mejia Orellana - said the Jesuit priest Ismael Moreno, director of the radio and also a member of the ERIC, in the statement sent to Fides him - is a blow against our work, against our institution and so we have to denounce this fact, because it violates the work of communication, it violates our right to freedom of expression and violates life of every member of our team. The fact that this criminal act took place on the eve of Holy Week, when everything is closed for the holidays, especially the institutions responsible for the administration of justice" is highly suspicious.
The appeal to a serious and rigorous investigation to clarify the circumstances of the murder and punish the guilty, was launched by the NGOs working in the area, by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), with the support of Fr. Ismael Moreno. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"
- 2015-01-15 - Over 3000 child beggars on the streets of big cities
- 2014-12-29 - Violence continues to affect mainly children and adolescents
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk