ASIA/PAKISTAN - Appeal to the Italian government to ask for "the repeal of the blasphemy law in Pakistan"
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - An appeal to the Italian government comes from the Federation of Pakistani Associations in Italy: Adan Farhaj Bakhsh, president of the Federation, in a message sent to Fides, calls on the Italian government to intervene "and ask the Pakistani government for the repeal of the blasphemy law in Pakistan".
The appeal was launched thanks to a motion approved unanimously by the Regional Council of the Marche region. "The complaint of the President of the Federation, who has asked for our support, is clear. This law provides for the death penalty for those who fail to respect the Prophet Muhammad, and is often used for private purposes, attacking in particular religious minorities in Pakistan", said the motion, sent to Fides.
The approved text continues: "Freedom of speech and freedom of religion are a fundamental right of every individual: we cannot remain indifferent. 85% of the cases are false allegations of blasphemy. The Christian Sawan Masih is one of the latest victims of this law, sentenced to death for unjust accusations of blasphemy. The couple Shafqat and Shagufta Emmanuel (sentenced for a blasphemous SMS, Ed) and Asia Bibi are just some of those who are unjustly detained, on which weighs a death sentence for blasphemy. Every nation should raise their voice against these injustices and ask the Pakistani government for the release of imprisoned innocent people and the abolition of this unjust law that stifles the essence of freedom", said the motion. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Young Christian woman abducted and forced into Islamic marriage
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Every year a thousand Christian and Hindu girls suffer forced conversion to Islam and abuse
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Minor Christian girl sold and abused
- 2015-07-22 - The Dominican Channan: "Dialogue with Islam to change the blasphemy law"
- 2015-07-22 - Asia Bibi's case before the Supreme Court: sentence suspended and review of the case
- 2015-07-21 - Two Christian brothers arrested on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-07-07 - The government bans to translate holy Islamic terms
- 2015-07-02 - The police save a Christian accused of blasphemy from being lynched
- 2015-07-01 - Three missionary nuns forced to leave Pakistan
- 2015-06-30 - A thousand victims in five days due to heatwave