AMERICA/PERU - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
Satipo (Agenzia Fides) - With the support of Caritas Peru, the small pineapple producers of Satipo, in the Peruvian jungle, were able to take a step forward in the domestic and international market. We are talking about "Agroideas", a statewide initiative that promotes sustainable activities in the sale of groceries. Within the program, funding was obtained to improve the production of juice and pineapple pulp, which is currently 480 tonnes per year, with the goal of reaching 720 tons, destined for the domestic and international market.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that for Caritas Peru the fact that small producers are included in a very competitive market with a quality product is a great success. Caritas Peru began this work in 2002 and, following the improvement of production, in 2007 it introduced other varieties of pineapple, focusing on quality. The climatic conditions of Satipo have contributed greatly to this end.
Through this program supported by Caritas, the socio-economic situation of 381 families of Satipo and Chanchamayo has greatly improved, making these small farmers become entrepreneurs and they are now able to supply their products to the capital Lima and even some countries abroad. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"