AMERICA/PERU - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
Satipo (Agenzia Fides) - With the support of Caritas Peru, the small pineapple producers of Satipo, in the Peruvian jungle, were able to take a step forward in the domestic and international market. We are talking about "Agroideas", a statewide initiative that promotes sustainable activities in the sale of groceries. Within the program, funding was obtained to improve the production of juice and pineapple pulp, which is currently 480 tonnes per year, with the goal of reaching 720 tons, destined for the domestic and international market.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that for Caritas Peru the fact that small producers are included in a very competitive market with a quality product is a great success. Caritas Peru began this work in 2002 and, following the improvement of production, in 2007 it introduced other varieties of pineapple, focusing on quality. The climatic conditions of Satipo have contributed greatly to this end.
Through this program supported by Caritas, the socio-economic situation of 381 families of Satipo and Chanchamayo has greatly improved, making these small farmers become entrepreneurs and they are now able to supply their products to the capital Lima and even some countries abroad. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need