AFRICA/NIGERIA - The bombing in Abuja 15 days after the shootings in which 20 suspected members of Boko Haram were killed
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - More than 70 people have been killed in a bomb blast at a crowded bus station on the outskirts of Nigeria's capital, Abuja (see Fides 14/04/2014). This was announced by the local authorities. "Unfortunately, some of the injured are in critical condition and the death toll is likely to increase", say sources of the Nigerian Church to Fides Agency.
The Head of State Goodluck Jonathan, along with the Senate President and some ministers, visited the injured and announced a strengthening of security measures in the city of Abuja.
There are suspects that the attack was perpetrated by the Islamist Boko Haram sect.
On March 30, in Abuja, some suspected members of Boko Haram were responsible for a shooting at the Department of State Security Service -DSS, which in many ways remains a mystery. "Some suspected members of Boko Haram were led to the DSS headquarters (which is situated next to the presidential residence) to be questioned" say our sources.
"According to the official version, one of the people who was stopped managed to get hold of an agents weapon and starting shooting for three hours, in which at least 20 suspected members of Boko Haram were killed".
"Probably we will never know if anyone managed to provide some secret weapons to these people while they were in custody. In Nigeria, complicity within the security forces are suspected, a fact that had been denounced by the President himself. It is a complicated war" conclude our sources. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2014)
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest