AMERICA/MEXICO - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
Cordoba (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Córdoba is still awaiting notification regarding the status of the "El Naranjal" hydroelectric project and several days have gone by since the visit of governor Javier Duarte, who entrusted the matter to the parties concerned. This project corresponds to one of the 112 dams that are intended to be built with private capital in the state of Veracruz, which crosses the territory of Amatlán de los Reyes and seven municipalities in the region, causing, according to environmentalists, severe damage to approximately 30,000 people (see Fides 28/03/2014).
"Until today – says His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Porfirio Patiño Leal, Bishop of Córdoba in a note sent to Fides - I have not received any public notice. What counts for me is the fact that an attitude of dialogue was adopted with stakeholders, environmentalists and federal authorities, and also with those who are conducting the project". The note points out that when governor Javier Duarte de Ochoa was willing to review and reassess the project in order to verify its feasibility, the Bishop asked him to look into how permissions are granted. "The fact that the governor has insisted that there will be no harm to the population gives us some confidence – concluded the Bishop - but we also know that we must adopt appropriate measures in the municipal, state and federal offices in order to verify how these permissions are granted".
According to data gathered by Fides, "El Naranjal" should be the most important hydroelectric dam in the country, but its construction provides for an indiscriminate reduction of trees and the significant decrease of the waters of the Blanco River. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2014)
- 2015-01-19 - Bishop of Zacatecas: The closure of mines is everyone’s problem
- 2015-01-17 - "We must stop violent groups", said Bishop Gallardo
- 2015-01-16 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Guerrero appreciate the good will of the army
- 2015-01-16 - The New Testament in Tsotsil language in the pipeline
- 2015-01-14 - Corruption: a serious disease that has infected all
- 2015-01-09 - The priests of Guerrero "continue to preach the Gospel as always" despite threats and blackmail,
- 2015-01-07 - "The jungle law" does not stop theft
- 2015-01-02 - "The street is my family": Christmas season: love for children, youth and marginalized people
- 2014-12-23 - Mexico is the most dangerous country in Latin America where to exercise the priestly ministry
- 2014-12-22 - The Apostolic Nuncio celebrates Mass for the families of the students who have disappeared from Ayotzinapa