AMERICA/MEXICO - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
Cordoba (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Córdoba is still awaiting notification regarding the status of the "El Naranjal" hydroelectric project and several days have gone by since the visit of governor Javier Duarte, who entrusted the matter to the parties concerned. This project corresponds to one of the 112 dams that are intended to be built with private capital in the state of Veracruz, which crosses the territory of Amatlán de los Reyes and seven municipalities in the region, causing, according to environmentalists, severe damage to approximately 30,000 people (see Fides 28/03/2014).
"Until today – says His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Porfirio Patiño Leal, Bishop of Córdoba in a note sent to Fides - I have not received any public notice. What counts for me is the fact that an attitude of dialogue was adopted with stakeholders, environmentalists and federal authorities, and also with those who are conducting the project". The note points out that when governor Javier Duarte de Ochoa was willing to review and reassess the project in order to verify its feasibility, the Bishop asked him to look into how permissions are granted. "The fact that the governor has insisted that there will be no harm to the population gives us some confidence – concluded the Bishop - but we also know that we must adopt appropriate measures in the municipal, state and federal offices in order to verify how these permissions are granted".
According to data gathered by Fides, "El Naranjal" should be the most important hydroelectric dam in the country, but its construction provides for an indiscriminate reduction of trees and the significant decrease of the waters of the Blanco River. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2014)
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus