AMERICA/MEXICO - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
Cordoba (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Córdoba is still awaiting notification regarding the status of the "El Naranjal" hydroelectric project and several days have gone by since the visit of governor Javier Duarte, who entrusted the matter to the parties concerned. This project corresponds to one of the 112 dams that are intended to be built with private capital in the state of Veracruz, which crosses the territory of Amatlán de los Reyes and seven municipalities in the region, causing, according to environmentalists, severe damage to approximately 30,000 people (see Fides 28/03/2014).
"Until today – says His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Porfirio Patiño Leal, Bishop of Córdoba in a note sent to Fides - I have not received any public notice. What counts for me is the fact that an attitude of dialogue was adopted with stakeholders, environmentalists and federal authorities, and also with those who are conducting the project". The note points out that when governor Javier Duarte de Ochoa was willing to review and reassess the project in order to verify its feasibility, the Bishop asked him to look into how permissions are granted. "The fact that the governor has insisted that there will be no harm to the population gives us some confidence – concluded the Bishop - but we also know that we must adopt appropriate measures in the municipal, state and federal offices in order to verify how these permissions are granted".
According to data gathered by Fides, "El Naranjal" should be the most important hydroelectric dam in the country, but its construction provides for an indiscriminate reduction of trees and the significant decrease of the waters of the Blanco River. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"