ASIA/INDIA - The Bishops to the President: We will give a great contribution to the country
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - The Indian Church prays for the elections which will be held in April and will continue to give its valuable contribution to the nation, especially in the field of education and social services: this is what the Indian Bishops said during the meeting with the President of the Indian Union, Shri Pranab Mukherjee. As reported to Fides by Fr. Joseph Chinnayyan, spokesperson of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of India (CBCI), the nation's leaders met the new Presidency Council of Bishops in recent days, formed by Cardinal Baselios Cleemis (president), Bishops Andrews Thazhath and Filipe Neri Ferrao (the two vice-presidents), and by Mgr. Albert D' Souza (Secretary General).
Shri Pranab Mukherjee said he appreciated the service rendered by Christians to the nation and the total dedication of the spiritual leaders of the Church, Bishops, priests, religious and lay people committed to improving the lives of the people of India, for peace and harmony. The President noted with satisfaction the Catholic Church’s initiative to observe a special Day of prayer for the elections, hoping that the new members of Parliament will ensure the proper functioning of civil institutions, in the interest of the nation and the well-being of the Indian people.
The note sent to Fides also reports that the Bishops have expressed great joy and hope for the news that the Holy Father approved the miracles attributed to the intercession of Blessed Kuriakose Chavara and Blessed Sister Euphrasia of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2014)
- 2014-10-22 - Appeal for minorities is shared in civil society
- 2014-10-21 - The Franciscans prepare the Year for consecrated life
- 2014-10-15 - A center of excellence for technical formation regarding disadvantaged young people
- 2014-10-14 - The Franciscan Indians in the front line against violence on women
- 2014-10-10 - Christians to the government: "We are not terrorists"
- 2014-10-10 - Bosco Tea Project for more than 700 tea laborers
- 2014-10-09 - The Jesuits denounce: "600 attacks against religious minorities: stop to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - The marriage between a Christian and a Hindu annulled due to extremist group protest
- 2014-10-02 - Exposition of the relics of St. Francis Xavier
- 2014-10-01 - Closure of the professorship named after Mother Teresa