AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Jorge Urosa Sabino, Archbishop of Caracas, during a nationally televised interview on Sunday 13 April, said he was "deeply saddened by the violence he had never seen before on behalf of the security forces" during the protests that took place in recent weeks. He also questioned the validity of socialism as a political system and asked to solve the economic problems, which are the cause of the demonstrations that have only recently brought to the dialogue between government and opposition.
With regards to the alleged "cubanization of the country", he said: "They want to bring us towards that system, but we say that it is not correct, because the proposal has already been rejected by the people through referendum". The Cardinal stressed that the Church does not seek confrontation, but wants to solve problems", and if we go astray it must be pointed out".
As highlighted in the note sent to Fides Agency from a local source, the Cardinal was invited to the television program to take stock of the situation in the country after weeks of uncertainty and violence, and the beginning of peace talks between the government and opposition with several institutions as witnesses, including the Catholic Church (see Fides 11/04/2014).
So there is enthusiasm concerning a part of the population and a certain distrust concerning others, because it is necessary to confirm the initiative for dialogue and peace through concrete actions, as evidenced by Cardinal Urosa himself, who has asked to have "a positive attitude towards dialogue, but if this fails, the country will know who is to blame and why it did not work". Finally, the Archbishop of Caracas highlighted the fact that there are serious social and economic problems and much more needs to be done" (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/04/2014)
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow