ASIA/PAKISTAN - Asia Bibi's case: the hearing is likely to be postponed
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - It is very likely that Asia Bibi’s new hearing for the appeal process will be postponed, scheduled for Monday, April 14. This would be the umpteenth postponement, this time "for administrative reasons within the Court". This was reported to Fides Agency by the woman's lawyer, Naeem Shakir, who explained: "The first panel of two judges was dismembered by the court’s administration and one of the judges was transferred. Even the second panel of judges was dissolved, and a third has not yet been appointed. I have not received any communication from the administration, but at this point (Saturday, April 12th, ed) it is very unlikely that the hearing will take place on Monday. We expect another delay of at least 10 days. Movements and transfer concerning judges fall within the full discretion of the administration of the High Court and occur routinely, for many different reasons. However, these repeated delays annoy us very much".
On the basis of experience, what could happen is that judges themselves avoid delicate and sensitive cases such as those of blasphemy, for fear of being targeted by fundamentalists. Meanwhile, Asia Bibi remains in prison in Multan, waiting for news. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/04/2014)
- 2014-08-21 - Violence against minorities: a 12-year-old Christian girl raped by a gang
- 2014-08-20 - Christian leaders in Pakistan: "The international community must wake up"
- 2014-07-28 - "Terrorism and intolerance are the wounds of Pakistan"
- 2014-07-24 - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
- 2014-07-05 - Escape from terrorism and extremism: the exodus of religious minorities has started
- 2014-07-03 - Terrorist groups settle in the Christian area of Essa Nagri in Karachi
- 2014-07-01 - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "A new springtime for the Church in our country"
- 2014-06-28 - Discrimination and violence against a Christian businessman, threatened by Islamic extremists
- 2014-06-25 - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi