ASIA/PAKISTAN - Asia Bibi's case: the hearing is likely to be postponed
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - It is very likely that Asia Bibi’s new hearing for the appeal process will be postponed, scheduled for Monday, April 14. This would be the umpteenth postponement, this time "for administrative reasons within the Court". This was reported to Fides Agency by the woman's lawyer, Naeem Shakir, who explained: "The first panel of two judges was dismembered by the court’s administration and one of the judges was transferred. Even the second panel of judges was dissolved, and a third has not yet been appointed. I have not received any communication from the administration, but at this point (Saturday, April 12th, ed) it is very unlikely that the hearing will take place on Monday. We expect another delay of at least 10 days. Movements and transfer concerning judges fall within the full discretion of the administration of the High Court and occur routinely, for many different reasons. However, these repeated delays annoy us very much".
On the basis of experience, what could happen is that judges themselves avoid delicate and sensitive cases such as those of blasphemy, for fear of being targeted by fundamentalists. Meanwhile, Asia Bibi remains in prison in Multan, waiting for news. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/04/2014)
- 2015-03-28 - Christian leaders: a Commission of inquiry regarding the massacre in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-26 - The Jinnah Institute: "Continuous and constant violence against religious minorities"
- 2015-03-26 - Guaranteed education to Shama and Shehzad’s children, Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-03-25 - Two Christians accused of the lynching of two suspected terrorists
- 2015-03-25 - Shots fired against agents in front of St. Peter’s church in Lahore
- 2015-03-24 - The General Vicar of Lahore: "Release the innocent among the Christians arrested"
- 2015-03-23 - The case of the young Christian tortured and killed by the police goes unpunished
- 2015-03-20 - The pastor of Youhanabad: "Critical situation, let us pray with the Via Crucis"
- 2015-03-17 - The Archbishop of Lahore at the funeral of the victims of Youhanabad: "Be men of peace"
- 2015-03-16 - The "Justice and Peace" Commission on the massacre of Christians: "Police negligent "