ASIA/PAKISTAN - Asia Bibi's case: the hearing is likely to be postponed
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - It is very likely that Asia Bibi’s new hearing for the appeal process will be postponed, scheduled for Monday, April 14. This would be the umpteenth postponement, this time "for administrative reasons within the Court". This was reported to Fides Agency by the woman's lawyer, Naeem Shakir, who explained: "The first panel of two judges was dismembered by the court’s administration and one of the judges was transferred. Even the second panel of judges was dissolved, and a third has not yet been appointed. I have not received any communication from the administration, but at this point (Saturday, April 12th, ed) it is very unlikely that the hearing will take place on Monday. We expect another delay of at least 10 days. Movements and transfer concerning judges fall within the full discretion of the administration of the High Court and occur routinely, for many different reasons. However, these repeated delays annoy us very much".
On the basis of experience, what could happen is that judges themselves avoid delicate and sensitive cases such as those of blasphemy, for fear of being targeted by fundamentalists. Meanwhile, Asia Bibi remains in prison in Multan, waiting for news. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/04/2014)
- 2015-05-22 - 106 indicted for the murder of two Christians burned alive: "A step towards justice"
- 2015-05-21 - Punjab moves to protect women victims of violence
- 2015-05-19 - "A warning to Pakistan", reaction to the murder for blasphemy in Afghanistan
- 2015-05-18 - Rosary and biblical apostolate in Faisalabad
- 2015-05-15 - Attack against the Ismaili community: the condemnation of Bishops
- 2015-05-11 - Lynching in Youhanabad: 47 Christians detained in prison
- 2015-05-06 - A Christian woman files for nominations in the elections in the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- 2015-05-04 - Muslim leaders and Christians together for religious harmony in Youhanabad
- 2015-05-02 - Murders of activists and intellectuals: concern of civil society
- 2015-04-22 - The state of human rights in the country worsens