AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Bishops on the eve of the election: vote for those who promote the common good
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) - "The vote that expresses the political and moral maturity of citizens is a responsible vote": say the Bishops of Guinea Bissau in a message issued on the occasion of the presidential and legislative elections to be held tomorrow, Sunday, April 13 and sent to Fides Agency.
The message proposes some guidelines regarding how to choose candidates: "Through elections the people choose, as his/her legitimate representative, a citizen who is: respectful of human rights; politically committed to promoting public interest; humanly wise and morally honest, capable of dialogue and balance".
The Bishops call on politicians to respect the people’s desires, by translating them into realistic programs; they appeal to the military so that they defend the country and the population; they invite citizens not to sell their votes and call on the international community to continue to help Guinea Bissau. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 12/04/2014)
- 2014-04-12 - The Bishops on the eve of the election: vote for those who promote the common good
- 2014-04-11 - Presidential and parliamentary elections will be held on Sunday
- 2013-12-09 - On December 13, National Day of Prayer and Fasting for Peace convened by the Bishops
- 2012-12-28 - Rediscovering our faith and witnessing it in society: letter from the Bishop of Bissau
- 2012-11-14 - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
- 2012-10-22 - Allegations to Portugal for the assault against the barracks, so "the isolation of the Country accentuates"
- 2012-10-02 - October 13 - opening of the Year of Faith; "Maria, increase our faith" theme of the 8 December pilgrimage
- 2012-09-24 - Bishop of Bissau's appeal: "we urgently need medicines for tuberculosis and AIDS"
- 2012-08-27 - Missionary experience of the Youth Movement to Build
- 2012-05-18 - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government