AMERICA/ARGENTINA - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"
Posadas (Agenzia Fides) - After the recent gang violence against suspected criminals that is taking place in different parts of Argentina (see Fides 03/04/2014), His Exc. Mgr. Juan Ruben Martinez, Bishop of the Diocese of Posadas, speaking to a local television station said that similar incidents have occurred in Garupá. For the Archbishop, according to news sent to Fides Agency by local sources, these "lynchings" reveal a form of discomfort in the population, who feels powerless in the absence of institutions that work and protect its people. It also reveals a structural problem which, according to the Bishop, is linked to the consumption of drugs among young people, especially in suburban neighborhoods.
"The Bishops of Argentina, through the Bishops' Conference, wish to express their concern about the high number of lynchings and for taking justice in their own hands", said the Bishop, pointing out that these facts "are a serious social problem that reveals discomfort". According to Mgr. Martinez "many people feel very fragile and defenseless".
For the Bishop of Posadas "the link with drugs is clear, because there are many who steal to get it. But it is not just a problem of educating the young, there are also problems in the administration of justice ...". Therefore Mgr. Martinez condemned the phenomenon of so-called "urban tribes", which starting from big cities has now extended to Garupa, where on Saturday, April 5 a group of 50 residents killed a suspected member of a gang of thugs who work in the area, without the intervention of the police. According to the local press, the phenomenon of lynchings does not stop, there are more than 10 registered cases, but it seems that there are others in different parts of the country. (CE ) (Agenzia Fides 10/04/2014)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"