AMERICA/PARAGUAY - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - More than 300 people, including religious, supporters and relatives of the five peasants arrested two years ago and are still awaiting trial, marched on the evening of April 8 from the Cathedral of the Assumption to the Military Hospital, to demand the release of the five peasants who have been on a hunger strike for 55 days. Five landless peasants were accused of taking part in the killing of eleven farmers and six policemen during a land eviction procedure in June 2012 in the village of Curuguaty (see Fides 18/06/2012, 26/11/2012). For this massacre more than 50 people were charged, some of them were imprisoned.
According to information sent to Fides Agency from a local source, before the March on 8 April a moment of prayer was held in front of the Cathedral.
The Bishop of the Apostolic Vicariate of Pilcomayo, His Exc. Mgr. Lucio Alfert O.M.I., and the Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro, His Exc. Mgr. Pierre Laurent Jubinville C.S.S.p., have asked the Court of Salto del Guaira to set the peasants free. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/04/2014)
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"
- 2014-11-07 - The Bishops in defense of indigenous people appeal to the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence