AMERICA/PARAGUAY - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - More than 300 people, including religious, supporters and relatives of the five peasants arrested two years ago and are still awaiting trial, marched on the evening of April 8 from the Cathedral of the Assumption to the Military Hospital, to demand the release of the five peasants who have been on a hunger strike for 55 days. Five landless peasants were accused of taking part in the killing of eleven farmers and six policemen during a land eviction procedure in June 2012 in the village of Curuguaty (see Fides 18/06/2012, 26/11/2012). For this massacre more than 50 people were charged, some of them were imprisoned.
According to information sent to Fides Agency from a local source, before the March on 8 April a moment of prayer was held in front of the Cathedral.
The Bishop of the Apostolic Vicariate of Pilcomayo, His Exc. Mgr. Lucio Alfert O.M.I., and the Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro, His Exc. Mgr. Pierre Laurent Jubinville C.S.S.p., have asked the Court of Salto del Guaira to set the peasants free. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/04/2014)
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans
- 2013-12-10 - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé