AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
Medellín (Agenzia Fides) - Colombia has the world’s second highest number of land mine victims. Although the department of Huila is not the one with more mines, in less than 15 years 224 victims have been recorded.
During the World Conference, which has just concluded in Medellín, Colombia’s government must ensure that mine victims have adequate assistance and opportunities to advance their rights. According to information gathered by Fides, in many Countries, rehabilitation and psychological support centers are in big cities while the majority of those affected live in rural areas. Health care and psychological services, the creation of networks among the survivors are needed so that they can share experiences and initiatives. According to the international NGO Landmine and Cluster Munition Monitor, the most affected Countries are Afghanistan, Colombia and Cambodia, Yemen and Pakistan. In 2012, the NGO registered 3,628 landmine victims. Of these 1,066 have died. The results of the conference in Medellin will be presented by Colombia at another meeting to be held in Geneva and will also serve as the basis of the third five-year review of the Ottawa Convention, to be held in June in Mozambique. In 2000 Colombia acceded to the Ottawa Convention, which prohibits the use of such weapons, and since then the government forces have started the process of de-mining their fields. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect
- 2014-06-09 - "The reality of Buenaventura is still critical" denounces Mgr. Epalza