AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
Jinotega (Agenzia Fides ) - "As a father and pastor of the pilgrim Church in the Diocese of Jinotega, I want to express, on behalf of the priests, religious and laity, our feeling of deep sorrow for the murder of our beloved priest Juan Francisco Blandon Meza, pastor of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, which is situated in the municipality of Wiwili, department of Jinotega": this is what the statement sent to Fides Agency by the Bishop of the Diocese of Jinotega, Mgr. Carlos Enrique Herrera, O.F.M. said with regards to the murder which took place on Sunday evening, April 6.
According to the reconstruction of the police, with the help of a witness, the priest, 42, was found near his home along with two women, when he was joined by a man, the husband of one of the two, who opened fire, killing his wife and the priest, with two shots and then killed himself. Other investigations are being carried out. While the community of Wiwili is in shock because father Blandón Meza was known for his commitment towards social groups and for the defense of human rights, Mgr. Herrera said to the press that "Father Juan Francisco was killed due to the man’s psychological instability".
In the official statement the Bishop expresses closeness to the familiy and gratitude for the many initiatives of prayer, including those of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, and continues: "We urge our members to pray for our dear father Blandon, remembering him as a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, who inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ; motivated many lay people to believe and fight for the respect of the human person’s dignity, the common good and solidarity towards others". Finally, the statement invites to attend the funeral, on Wednesday, April 9, at the Cathedral of San Juan. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2014)
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"