AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
Jinotega (Agenzia Fides ) - "As a father and pastor of the pilgrim Church in the Diocese of Jinotega, I want to express, on behalf of the priests, religious and laity, our feeling of deep sorrow for the murder of our beloved priest Juan Francisco Blandon Meza, pastor of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, which is situated in the municipality of Wiwili, department of Jinotega": this is what the statement sent to Fides Agency by the Bishop of the Diocese of Jinotega, Mgr. Carlos Enrique Herrera, O.F.M. said with regards to the murder which took place on Sunday evening, April 6.
According to the reconstruction of the police, with the help of a witness, the priest, 42, was found near his home along with two women, when he was joined by a man, the husband of one of the two, who opened fire, killing his wife and the priest, with two shots and then killed himself. Other investigations are being carried out. While the community of Wiwili is in shock because father Blandón Meza was known for his commitment towards social groups and for the defense of human rights, Mgr. Herrera said to the press that "Father Juan Francisco was killed due to the man’s psychological instability".
In the official statement the Bishop expresses closeness to the familiy and gratitude for the many initiatives of prayer, including those of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, and continues: "We urge our members to pray for our dear father Blandon, remembering him as a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, who inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ; motivated many lay people to believe and fight for the respect of the human person’s dignity, the common good and solidarity towards others". Finally, the statement invites to attend the funeral, on Wednesday, April 9, at the Cathedral of San Juan. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2014)
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez