AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
Jinotega (Agenzia Fides ) - "As a father and pastor of the pilgrim Church in the Diocese of Jinotega, I want to express, on behalf of the priests, religious and laity, our feeling of deep sorrow for the murder of our beloved priest Juan Francisco Blandon Meza, pastor of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, which is situated in the municipality of Wiwili, department of Jinotega": this is what the statement sent to Fides Agency by the Bishop of the Diocese of Jinotega, Mgr. Carlos Enrique Herrera, O.F.M. said with regards to the murder which took place on Sunday evening, April 6.
According to the reconstruction of the police, with the help of a witness, the priest, 42, was found near his home along with two women, when he was joined by a man, the husband of one of the two, who opened fire, killing his wife and the priest, with two shots and then killed himself. Other investigations are being carried out. While the community of Wiwili is in shock because father Blandón Meza was known for his commitment towards social groups and for the defense of human rights, Mgr. Herrera said to the press that "Father Juan Francisco was killed due to the man’s psychological instability".
In the official statement the Bishop expresses closeness to the familiy and gratitude for the many initiatives of prayer, including those of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, and continues: "We urge our members to pray for our dear father Blandon, remembering him as a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, who inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ; motivated many lay people to believe and fight for the respect of the human person’s dignity, the common good and solidarity towards others". Finally, the statement invites to attend the funeral, on Wednesday, April 9, at the Cathedral of San Juan. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2014)
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter