ASIA/PAKISTAN - Only 28 % of women are in physical condition to breastfeed their infants
Karachi (Agenzia Fides) - The Health and Nutrition Development Society (HANDS) noted a change regarding the breastfeeding of babies among the women in the Tharparkar district of Sindh. A study carried out by the organization found that, prior to the severe drought that hit the country, 39% of women were breastfeeding their babies while now the percentage has dropped to 28%. Malnutrition, poverty and lack of awareness are the main reasons. According to head of the HANDS health care department, many women do not actually know how long they should breast-feed their children. The data recorded by the Association for Water Applied Education & Renewable Energy (AWARE) reported that in March 2014, 140 women were hospitalized at the Out Patient Department (OPD) of the Central Hospital in Chachro who reported not having supplements or medications to encourage breastfeeding. The natural consequence is that, once pregnant, their state of malnutrition and weakness worsens, and children are born underweight because their mothers do not have an adequate diet. Unfortunately, the rural areas are the poorest and most malnourished population. Many women are anemic and debilitated and are unable to breastfeed. In addition, in most Pakistani families, women eat after all the other members of the family have eaten, despite the fact that they work in the fields while the men sit around smoking the hookah. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2014)
- 2015-04-01 - 28 Christians are indicted for the lynching of Lahore
- 2015-03-30 - 20 victims of the attacks on the churches in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-28 - Christian leaders: a Commission of inquiry regarding the massacre in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-26 - The Jinnah Institute: "Continuous and constant violence against religious minorities"
- 2015-03-26 - Guaranteed education to Shama and Shehzad’s children, Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-03-25 - Two Christians accused of the lynching of two suspected terrorists
- 2015-03-25 - Shots fired against agents in front of St. Peter’s church in Lahore
- 2015-03-24 - The General Vicar of Lahore: "Release the innocent among the Christians arrested"
- 2015-03-23 - The case of the young Christian tortured and killed by the police goes unpunished
- 2015-03-20 - The pastor of Youhanabad: "Critical situation, let us pray with the Via Crucis"