AMERICA/BRAZIL - CIMI delivers a document on the suffering of the indigenous peoples of the Amazon to the Pope
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the Bishop of the Prelature of Xingu (in the area of Para, Brazil), His Exc. Mgr. Erwin Kräutler, C.Pp.S., delivered a document to Pope Francis on the violations of the rights regarding the indigenous in Brazil. The meeting took place on Friday, April 4th.
According to the note of CIMI sent to Fides Agency, the document highlights the cases of violence that the indigenous peoples are subjected to. "Political groups and economic aspects concerning the food, mining and construction industry, with the support and participation of the Brazilian government, attempt to revoke the land rights of indigenous peoples", explains a passage in the document given to the Holy Father.
CIMI told Fides that only in the territory inhabited by the Guarani and Kaiowá indigenous peoples in Mato Grosso do Sul ( Brazil ), about 45,000 indigenous people have been forced to live in a small area, inadequate to their needs, where every day there are cases of deaths, suicides and violence against them. Mgr. Kräutler points out that in Brazil there are currently 519 companies whose activities have a negative environmental impact on the territories that belong to 204 indigenous peoples. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/04/2014)
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"