AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Presidential elections: the Bishops urge unity for peace, solidarity, justice and holiness
San Jose (Agenzia Fides) - "The government that will be elected today will have to face a considerable task, therefore unity is required", said yesterday the Archbishop of San José, His Exc. Mgr. José Rafael Quirós Quirós, on the day of the presidential ballot in Costa Rica. The note sent to Fides Agency refers the Archbishop’s exhortation during the homily of the Mass celebrated in the Cathedral, which is usually attended by the presidential candidates.
"The task that awaits the future rulers is challenging, but if you are guided by the will of God, you will succeed in everything with a positive outcome - said Mgr. Quirós -. We all hope to see the country move forward, and this is certainly everyone’s task". In conclusion, he added: "We have to tighten the bonds of brotherhood, so that by tonight, we embrace each other as one people, one community, and we walk together towards the goals of peace, solidarity, justice and holiness".
In the elections held on February 2 , Costa Rica had elected Parliament but had to go to ballot to choose the President between Luis Guillermo Rivera Solís and Johnny Araya Monge (see Fides 27/01/2014 and 15/02/2014). Yesterday, April 6, according to the agencies, the winner was Luis Guillermo Solís, a representative of the center- left (Accion Ciudadana Party -PAC) who obtained 77.9 percent of the vote in 96.4 per cent of polling stations counted. His rival, the candidate of the Social Democratic government Party ( National Liberation Party - PLN) , Johnny Araya, obtained 22.1 percent of the vote. Absenteeism was 43.3 percent. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/04/2014)
- 2015-10-01 - Hydroelectric project: communities meet the Bishop to deal with the problem
- 2015-09-28 - A canteen for poor children who go to school
- 2015-08-04 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA –La Negrita celebrations: the local Catholic Church calls for intervention in favour of the family
- 2015-03-02 - Unexpected increase of cases of rotavirus in children: a thousand a week
- 2014-12-23 - Entrepreneurial initiatives for poor women
- 2014-12-17 - The campaign against hunger begins again, especially to help poor families
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – Poverty and violence afflict 34% of Costa Rica’s children
- 2014-09-09 - Solidarity initiative to prevent child abuse and maltreatment
- 2014-07-23 - The chicungunya virus continues to alarm Latin American Countries
- 2014-06-12 - More than 47 thousand children suffer violence and are forced to work