ASIA/SRI LANKA - Drought and monsoons: the dramatic situation especially for the poorest people
Colombo (Agenzia Fides) - After six months of drought and with forecasts of a monsoon arriving, Sri Lanka is likely to suffer serious losses in crops and significant decreases in the production of electricity. According to experts, the situation is dramatic. 5% (about 280 thousand tons of rice crop has already been lost due to the ongoing drought, which began in November 2013. With 200 thousand hectares of paddy fields, 20% of the annual crop, sown during the second season has been lost, and the situation could get worse with the arrival of the weak monsoon expected in May. According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), at the end of March 2014 more than 240 thousand families were affected by the shortage of water and the consequent loss of crops.
In Sri Lanka two monsoons are registered per year: the one that comes from the northeast from December to February, and the one from the southwest, from mid-May to September. The irregular rainfall in recent years has caused a reduction in crops and difficulties in the production of electricity. Another consequence of the drought is the increase in electricity prices. The poor will be hit hardest. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/04/2014)
- 2015-09-18 - Thousands of civilians disabled by the war without any assistance
- 2015-06-23 - The Bishops: "The representation of minorities in Parliament has to be ensured"
- 2015-02-13 - Civil society: "Confidence in the hundred days of the new government's reforms"
- 2015-01-28 - Cardinal Ranjith: for peace and religious harmony, the government "is on the right path"
- 2015-01-14 - The local Church: "From Madhu hope to revive peace"
- 2015-01-13 - "The presence of the Pope, a sign of peace and unity, a wake up call for the nation"
- 2015-01-12 - Cardinal Ranjith: "The Pope's visit will be an impetus to reconciliation"
- 2015-01-09 - The Bishops: "a new era of peace and reconciliation with newly-elected president Sirisena"
- 2014-12-29 - Presidential election campaign, while the Catholic Church is preparing itself for the Pope's visit
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops, between the Pope's visit and elections: "The visit will take place without any problems"