AFRICA/CONGO DR - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The rebels of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) have intensified their attacks against civilians in the area of Busanza (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). According to a note sent to Fides Agency, the town of Rugarama was totally ransacked on the night of April 1. The rebels attacked shops and private homes stealing money, food, mattresses, livestock, medicines and valuables. According to the note, about a month ago the inhabitants of several villages in the area were forced to flee because of the violence committed by the FDLR.
North Kivu has lived in instability due to the presence of various armed groups for at least 20 years, some of foreign origin. Recently, one of the most important of these groups, the M23, was defeated by a joint action of the UN troops and the Congolese armed forces. Civil society in North Kivu also denounces the raids carried out in Congolese territory by Rwandan and Ugandan militaries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2014)
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali