AFRICA/CONGO DR - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The rebels of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) have intensified their attacks against civilians in the area of Busanza (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). According to a note sent to Fides Agency, the town of Rugarama was totally ransacked on the night of April 1. The rebels attacked shops and private homes stealing money, food, mattresses, livestock, medicines and valuables. According to the note, about a month ago the inhabitants of several villages in the area were forced to flee because of the violence committed by the FDLR.
North Kivu has lived in instability due to the presence of various armed groups for at least 20 years, some of foreign origin. Recently, one of the most important of these groups, the M23, was defeated by a joint action of the UN troops and the Congolese armed forces. Civil society in North Kivu also denounces the raids carried out in Congolese territory by Rwandan and Ugandan militaries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2014)
- 2015-09-17 - Uncontrollable epidemic of measles: 23,000 people infected
- 2015-09-14 - The jihadists hide in the forests of Virunga protected by apparently autonomous local groups
- 2015-09-07 - New massacres committed by jihadists in North Kivu
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family