AFRICA/CONGO DR - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The rebels of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) have intensified their attacks against civilians in the area of Busanza (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). According to a note sent to Fides Agency, the town of Rugarama was totally ransacked on the night of April 1. The rebels attacked shops and private homes stealing money, food, mattresses, livestock, medicines and valuables. According to the note, about a month ago the inhabitants of several villages in the area were forced to flee because of the violence committed by the FDLR.
North Kivu has lived in instability due to the presence of various armed groups for at least 20 years, some of foreign origin. Recently, one of the most important of these groups, the M23, was defeated by a joint action of the UN troops and the Congolese armed forces. Civil society in North Kivu also denounces the raids carried out in Congolese territory by Rwandan and Ugandan militaries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"