AFRICA/CONGO DR - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The rebels of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) have intensified their attacks against civilians in the area of Busanza (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). According to a note sent to Fides Agency, the town of Rugarama was totally ransacked on the night of April 1. The rebels attacked shops and private homes stealing money, food, mattresses, livestock, medicines and valuables. According to the note, about a month ago the inhabitants of several villages in the area were forced to flee because of the violence committed by the FDLR.
North Kivu has lived in instability due to the presence of various armed groups for at least 20 years, some of foreign origin. Recently, one of the most important of these groups, the M23, was defeated by a joint action of the UN troops and the Congolese armed forces. Civil society in North Kivu also denounces the raids carried out in Congolese territory by Rwandan and Ugandan militaries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2014)
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls