AFRICA/CONGO DR - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The rebels of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) have intensified their attacks against civilians in the area of Busanza (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). According to a note sent to Fides Agency, the town of Rugarama was totally ransacked on the night of April 1. The rebels attacked shops and private homes stealing money, food, mattresses, livestock, medicines and valuables. According to the note, about a month ago the inhabitants of several villages in the area were forced to flee because of the violence committed by the FDLR.
North Kivu has lived in instability due to the presence of various armed groups for at least 20 years, some of foreign origin. Recently, one of the most important of these groups, the M23, was defeated by a joint action of the UN troops and the Congolese armed forces. Civil society in North Kivu also denounces the raids carried out in Congolese territory by Rwandan and Ugandan militaries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2014)
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft