AFRICA/CONGO DR – The Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Fulgence Muteba Mugalu, Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga, launched the alarm on the resumption of the activities of the Bakata Katanga armed group, in the so-called "triangle of death", Pweto-Mitwaba-Manono, in the province of Katanga (in the south of the Democratic Republic of Congo). "The farmers reported a massive movement of the Bakata Katanga", said Bishop Muteba to Radio Okapi. "At first a group of 12 young people were seen, then another larger group was noticed".
According to testimonies these two groups went to an unidentified grouping site and looted everything they came across in the camps, recruiting some young people by force. "The situation is dramatic", said the Bishop. The violence against civilians committed by Bakata Katanga have forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee (see Fides 30/01/2014) .
The Congolese press says that the group and its eventual sponsors remain a mystery. There is a report of the National Assembly on the Bakata Katanga, but it has been classified. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
AFRICA/CONGO DR – THE BISHOP OF KILWA
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society
- 2014-11-05 - New massacres in Beni, the people are exasperated and protest in the streets
- 2014-11-03 - Constitutional Amendment: Kinshasa looks at what is happening in Ouagadougou
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni