AFRICA/CONGO DR – The Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Fulgence Muteba Mugalu, Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga, launched the alarm on the resumption of the activities of the Bakata Katanga armed group, in the so-called "triangle of death", Pweto-Mitwaba-Manono, in the province of Katanga (in the south of the Democratic Republic of Congo). "The farmers reported a massive movement of the Bakata Katanga", said Bishop Muteba to Radio Okapi. "At first a group of 12 young people were seen, then another larger group was noticed".
According to testimonies these two groups went to an unidentified grouping site and looted everything they came across in the camps, recruiting some young people by force. "The situation is dramatic", said the Bishop. The violence against civilians committed by Bakata Katanga have forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee (see Fides 30/01/2014) .
The Congolese press says that the group and its eventual sponsors remain a mystery. There is a report of the National Assembly on the Bakata Katanga, but it has been classified. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
AFRICA/CONGO DR – THE BISHOP OF KILWA
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels
- 2015-05-18 - More than a hundred women victims of rape in the attack in Kikamba
- 2015-05-05 - More than 7,000 Burundian asylum-seekers in South Kivu; UN and Caritas mobilized
- 2015-04-30 - African rebirth also passes through the media and Pan-African tourism
- 2015-04-27 - The United Nations Commission on Human Rights takes office, but repression of opponents continue
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few