AFRICA/CONGO DR – The Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Fulgence Muteba Mugalu, Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga, launched the alarm on the resumption of the activities of the Bakata Katanga armed group, in the so-called "triangle of death", Pweto-Mitwaba-Manono, in the province of Katanga (in the south of the Democratic Republic of Congo). "The farmers reported a massive movement of the Bakata Katanga", said Bishop Muteba to Radio Okapi. "At first a group of 12 young people were seen, then another larger group was noticed".
According to testimonies these two groups went to an unidentified grouping site and looted everything they came across in the camps, recruiting some young people by force. "The situation is dramatic", said the Bishop. The violence against civilians committed by Bakata Katanga have forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee (see Fides 30/01/2014) .
The Congolese press says that the group and its eventual sponsors remain a mystery. There is a report of the National Assembly on the Bakata Katanga, but it has been classified. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
AFRICA/CONGO DR – THE BISHOP OF KILWA
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue