AFRICA/CONGO DR – The Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Fulgence Muteba Mugalu, Bishop of Kilwa-Kasenga, launched the alarm on the resumption of the activities of the Bakata Katanga armed group, in the so-called "triangle of death", Pweto-Mitwaba-Manono, in the province of Katanga (in the south of the Democratic Republic of Congo). "The farmers reported a massive movement of the Bakata Katanga", said Bishop Muteba to Radio Okapi. "At first a group of 12 young people were seen, then another larger group was noticed".
According to testimonies these two groups went to an unidentified grouping site and looted everything they came across in the camps, recruiting some young people by force. "The situation is dramatic", said the Bishop. The violence against civilians committed by Bakata Katanga have forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee (see Fides 30/01/2014) .
The Congolese press says that the group and its eventual sponsors remain a mystery. There is a report of the National Assembly on the Bakata Katanga, but it has been classified. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
AFRICA/CONGO DR – THE BISHOP OF KILWA
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali