AMERICA/PERU - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
Chiclayo (Agenzia Fides) - The phenomenon of child workers continues to spread, however, various humanitarian organizations are trying to protect the young victims. In the Peruvian province of Chiclayo there are over 3,350 children and adolescents aged between 6 and 17 who work and over 50% do not attend school. Here the Fundación Telefónica has managed to send over 600 children and adolescent workers back to school. The NGO has been committed for 13 years in the field of education regarding children at risk of child labor in four schools: Cristo Rey, Fanny Abanto Calle, Juan Tomis Stack and Carlos Augusto Salaverry, which are in the overcrowded districts in Leonardo Ortiz, Chiclayo and La Victoria. We are talking about 2,118 boys and girls. According to sources of the 'Agencia Andina', between 2012 and 2013, 30% of children stopped working. The Program provides for the distribution of school kits to all beneficiaries, as well as psycho-pedagogical support for the young children. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking