AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
Arizona (Agenzia Fides ) - "This Mass is for the 6,000 migrants who have died near a border wall in Nogales alone, 11 million people without documents, 30,000 children without parents who have fled. In the desert near here 400 bodies were found of men, women, children seeking to enter the United States... ", these are the harsh words expressed by Cardinal Sean Patrick O'Malley, O.F.M. Cap., Archbishop of Boston (USA) during the Mass. The Cardinal, along with other 8 Bishops, walked and prayed yesterday in the desert of Nogales, Arizona remembering thousands of Central American migrants who died during their "painful journey" in an attempt to reach the United States. "They are not forgotten" the Cardinal said after crossing the line that separates Arizona from Mexico.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, at the end of the march of prayer, the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Seattle, His Exc. Mgr. Eusebio L. Elizondo Almaguer, M.Sp.S., who is also the chairman of the USCCB’s Committee on migration, stated that "the U.S.- Mexico border is our Lampedusa; migrants in this hemisphere try to reach it, but often die in the attempt".
Cardinal O'Malley’s homily restored a bit of peace to the people who participated in the Mass when he mentioned the commitment to spread the Gospel of a well-known Mexican comedian, and highlighted that in the DNA of the United States it is written that it is a nation of immigrants, and pointed out that the experiences of the ancestors from Ireland, whose sacrifices, like those of many other immigrants, "were the secret of the success of the United States". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away
- 2015-03-20 - Bishops of the diocese on the border: enough with violence and more attention towards the youth
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars