AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
Arizona (Agenzia Fides ) - "This Mass is for the 6,000 migrants who have died near a border wall in Nogales alone, 11 million people without documents, 30,000 children without parents who have fled. In the desert near here 400 bodies were found of men, women, children seeking to enter the United States... ", these are the harsh words expressed by Cardinal Sean Patrick O'Malley, O.F.M. Cap., Archbishop of Boston (USA) during the Mass. The Cardinal, along with other 8 Bishops, walked and prayed yesterday in the desert of Nogales, Arizona remembering thousands of Central American migrants who died during their "painful journey" in an attempt to reach the United States. "They are not forgotten" the Cardinal said after crossing the line that separates Arizona from Mexico.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, at the end of the march of prayer, the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Seattle, His Exc. Mgr. Eusebio L. Elizondo Almaguer, M.Sp.S., who is also the chairman of the USCCB’s Committee on migration, stated that "the U.S.- Mexico border is our Lampedusa; migrants in this hemisphere try to reach it, but often die in the attempt".
Cardinal O'Malley’s homily restored a bit of peace to the people who participated in the Mass when he mentioned the commitment to spread the Gospel of a well-known Mexican comedian, and highlighted that in the DNA of the United States it is written that it is a nation of immigrants, and pointed out that the experiences of the ancestors from Ireland, whose sacrifices, like those of many other immigrants, "were the secret of the success of the United States". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
- 2015-10-24 - Bishop says: “repatriation for minors is sometimes a death sentence
- 2015-10-23 - “We still have a humanitarian crisis on our hands”: testimony of El Paso Bishop
- 2015-09-07 - New health center for basic assistance and nutrition for women and children
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"