AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - Thousands of people displaced due to the collapse of a dam; the Church’s appeal
Harare (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Masvingo in the south-west of Zimbabwe has launched an appeal to help thousands of people who have lost homes, land and cattle after the partial collapse of the Tokwe - Mukosi dam, due to last Friday’s incessant rains. Some of the homeless were transported by helicopters of the Air Force of Zimbabwe and Namibia, the others were welcomed in the camp in Chingwizi. "The conditions in the makeshift camp of Chingwizi are sub-human", said Fr. Peter Chimombe, head of the social communications of the Diocese of Masvingo to "New Zimbabwe" newspaper. "The people who are being welcomed in the camp seem refugees in a war situation", he added.
"The main problem that these people face is psychological.
Flood victims are waiting to be transferred to other places and you cannot do anything but wait", said the priest, who points out that the long wait is sowing anger and frustration. "People are angry and even blame God who allowed the disaster to happen". The desperation of the displaced is ultimately compounded by poor hygienic conditions (lack of drinking water and latrines) as well as by looters who plundered the few possessions they left behind. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/04/2014)
- 2014-06-05 - "Let’s help the people to help each other", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-04-02 - Thousands of people displaced due to the collapse of a dam; the Church’s appeal
- 2013-12-09 - "Political divisions increase while conditions of life worsen", denounce the Bishops
- 2013-12-05 - A new Catholic radio station
- 2013-08-05 - election of Mugabe, who has also the majority to change the Constitution, has been contested
- 2013-08-02 - Observers of the African Union and the Church: Peaceful and regular elections,
- 2013-07-31 - "Work for peace and for free and fair elections": appeal to the faithful of Christian leaders
- 2013-06-18 - Controversy on the dates of elections and in the meantime Christian churches organize the monitoring of the vote
- 2013-04-12 - The Bishops of Southern Africa demand free and transparent elections
- 2012-06-19 - Human rights abuses continue despite the appeals of leaders