AMERICA/MEXICO - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
Oaxaca (Agenzia Fides) - After the executions registered in this area during the weekend, the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Antequera, Oaxaca (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Gonzalo Alonso Calzada Guerrero said that these actions represent a strong wake-up call for the authorities, who have to do their job and investigate these killings, the Bishop also insisted on the duty of all Catholics to teach values such as respect for human life.
In less than 48 hours (between Friday 28 and Saturday March 29) 12 people were killed in Oaxaca, including the brother of the mayor of the city, two members of the "Movimiento de Unificación y Lucha Triqui" (MULT), a well-known entrepreneur, 2 members of the "Asamblea Popular de los Pueblos de Oaxaca", and other people. Almost all of them were involved in the community or in social or political groups. According to the authorities in the area, the crimes seem to be actions committed by the Ejército Popular Revolucionario (EPR), although there has been no claim.
Mgr. Calzada Guerrero, spoke after Sunday Mass, emphasizing that such acts may be the result of selfish interests that lead to these extreme situations. "The assassination of a political leader, or any person, in any case deserves to be investigated", he said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/03/2014 )
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude