AMERICA/MEXICO - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
Oaxaca (Agenzia Fides) - After the executions registered in this area during the weekend, the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Antequera, Oaxaca (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Gonzalo Alonso Calzada Guerrero said that these actions represent a strong wake-up call for the authorities, who have to do their job and investigate these killings, the Bishop also insisted on the duty of all Catholics to teach values such as respect for human life.
In less than 48 hours (between Friday 28 and Saturday March 29) 12 people were killed in Oaxaca, including the brother of the mayor of the city, two members of the "Movimiento de Unificación y Lucha Triqui" (MULT), a well-known entrepreneur, 2 members of the "Asamblea Popular de los Pueblos de Oaxaca", and other people. Almost all of them were involved in the community or in social or political groups. According to the authorities in the area, the crimes seem to be actions committed by the Ejército Popular Revolucionario (EPR), although there has been no claim.
Mgr. Calzada Guerrero, spoke after Sunday Mass, emphasizing that such acts may be the result of selfish interests that lead to these extreme situations. "The assassination of a political leader, or any person, in any case deserves to be investigated", he said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/03/2014 )
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
- 2014-06-30 - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age