AMERICA/MEXICO - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
Oaxaca (Agenzia Fides) - After the executions registered in this area during the weekend, the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Antequera, Oaxaca (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Gonzalo Alonso Calzada Guerrero said that these actions represent a strong wake-up call for the authorities, who have to do their job and investigate these killings, the Bishop also insisted on the duty of all Catholics to teach values such as respect for human life.
In less than 48 hours (between Friday 28 and Saturday March 29) 12 people were killed in Oaxaca, including the brother of the mayor of the city, two members of the "Movimiento de Unificación y Lucha Triqui" (MULT), a well-known entrepreneur, 2 members of the "Asamblea Popular de los Pueblos de Oaxaca", and other people. Almost all of them were involved in the community or in social or political groups. According to the authorities in the area, the crimes seem to be actions committed by the Ejército Popular Revolucionario (EPR), although there has been no claim.
Mgr. Calzada Guerrero, spoke after Sunday Mass, emphasizing that such acts may be the result of selfish interests that lead to these extreme situations. "The assassination of a political leader, or any person, in any case deserves to be investigated", he said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/03/2014 )
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children
- 2015-01-26 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Central America discuss the issue regarding assistance to migrants
- 2015-01-19 - Bishop of Zacatecas: The closure of mines is everyone’s problem
- 2015-01-17 - "We must stop violent groups", said Bishop Gallardo
- 2015-01-16 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Guerrero appreciate the good will of the army
- 2015-01-16 - The New Testament in Tsotsil language in the pipeline
- 2015-01-14 - Corruption: a serious disease that has infected all
- 2015-01-09 - The priests of Guerrero "continue to preach the Gospel as always" despite threats and blackmail,
- 2015-01-07 - "The jungle law" does not stop theft