AFRICA/NIGERIA - "If war crimes were really committed, Nigerians would consider such acts deplorable, but let us first verify the facts", said Mgr. Kaigama
Abuja ( Agenzia Fides) - "If there was a deliberate intention on behalf of Nigerian militants to kill cold -bloodedly and if these allegations are proven, I can assure every Nigerian will not accept these actions" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos and President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, commenting on the publication of a report by Amnesty International denouncing the mass killings committed in the north-east of Nigeria both by the Islamist sect Boko Haram and by military officers. " It is necessary, however, to verify the facts and avoid speculation", says Kaigama.
According to the report released today, March 31, only in the first three months of 2014, about 1,500 people were killed in the north-east of Nigeria, in massacres committed by Boko Haram, but also by military units. The international humanitarian organization calls for an international inquiry to establish the crimes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/03/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest
- 2015-06-03 - Boko Haram hits Maiduguri again
- 2015-06-02 - A priest killed in an attempted robbery
- 2015-06-01 - "Let us pray for the new President" says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-05-29 - The Bishops: "No to mass abortion for girls raped by Boko Haram; we are ready to help"