AFRICA/NIGERIA - "If war crimes were really committed, Nigerians would consider such acts deplorable, but let us first verify the facts", said Mgr. Kaigama
Abuja ( Agenzia Fides) - "If there was a deliberate intention on behalf of Nigerian militants to kill cold -bloodedly and if these allegations are proven, I can assure every Nigerian will not accept these actions" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos and President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, commenting on the publication of a report by Amnesty International denouncing the mass killings committed in the north-east of Nigeria both by the Islamist sect Boko Haram and by military officers. " It is necessary, however, to verify the facts and avoid speculation", says Kaigama.
According to the report released today, March 31, only in the first three months of 2014, about 1,500 people were killed in the north-east of Nigeria, in massacres committed by Boko Haram, but also by military units. The international humanitarian organization calls for an international inquiry to establish the crimes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/03/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"