AFRICA/NIGERIA - "If war crimes were really committed, Nigerians would consider such acts deplorable, but let us first verify the facts", said Mgr. Kaigama
Abuja ( Agenzia Fides) - "If there was a deliberate intention on behalf of Nigerian militants to kill cold -bloodedly and if these allegations are proven, I can assure every Nigerian will not accept these actions" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos and President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, commenting on the publication of a report by Amnesty International denouncing the mass killings committed in the north-east of Nigeria both by the Islamist sect Boko Haram and by military officers. " It is necessary, however, to verify the facts and avoid speculation", says Kaigama.
According to the report released today, March 31, only in the first three months of 2014, about 1,500 people were killed in the north-east of Nigeria, in massacres committed by Boko Haram, but also by military units. The international humanitarian organization calls for an international inquiry to establish the crimes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/03/2014)
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"