AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
Cochabamba (Agenzia Fides ) - "It is a shame that the people no longer have hope in this government": This is what was expressed by the president of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference (CEB), Mgr. Oscar Aparicio, in his opening speech at the assembly of the Bishops of Bolivia.
The note sent to Fides reports what the Bishop said: "Because of social decline and corruption, society, the press, authorities, justice and the Church cannot remain silent. We must do everything in our power to make the truth shine, because as the Evangelist John says, the truth shall make you free".
In his message (see Fides 27/03/2014) Mgr. Aparicio asked the political organizations that will participate in the next general election to present proposals "without cheating and without seeking mutual delegitimization".
Mgr. Aparicio hopes that "the interests of the whole population prevail" in the next general election.
The Bolivian Constitution only allows two consecutive presidential terms, however, President Evo Morales, who has been governing Bolivia since 2006, will try to extend his third term in office until 2020, with the approval of the Constitutional Court. The elections are scheduled in Bolivia on October 5, 2014. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/03/2014)
- 2015-02-24 - Campaign to help children in Tipnis suffering from malnutrition and poverty
- 2015-02-19 - On the way to Fifth American Mission Congress (CAM 5-COMLA 10)
- 2015-01-23 - The phenomenon of children abandoned in the streets and violence increases
- 2015-01-05 - "Open your eyes and ears": warning of the church for the election campaign
- 2014-11-18 - Towards CAM 5: Bolivia presents a preliminary work plan
- 2014-11-17 - A project to spread Afro culture among children of Yungas communities
- 2014-11-12 - The Eucharist is necessary for fraternal communion and mission
- 2014-11-11 - The law on education must be applied without discrimination
- 2014-11-07 - Education, communication and drug trafficking: the Bishops prepare three pastoral Letters
- 2014-10-29 - Solidarity and concrete evangelization: meeting of diocesan Directors of the Pontifical Mission Societies