AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
Cochabamba (Agenzia Fides ) - "It is a shame that the people no longer have hope in this government": This is what was expressed by the president of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference (CEB), Mgr. Oscar Aparicio, in his opening speech at the assembly of the Bishops of Bolivia.
The note sent to Fides reports what the Bishop said: "Because of social decline and corruption, society, the press, authorities, justice and the Church cannot remain silent. We must do everything in our power to make the truth shine, because as the Evangelist John says, the truth shall make you free".
In his message (see Fides 27/03/2014) Mgr. Aparicio asked the political organizations that will participate in the next general election to present proposals "without cheating and without seeking mutual delegitimization".
Mgr. Aparicio hopes that "the interests of the whole population prevail" in the next general election.
The Bolivian Constitution only allows two consecutive presidential terms, however, President Evo Morales, who has been governing Bolivia since 2006, will try to extend his third term in office until 2020, with the approval of the Constitutional Court. The elections are scheduled in Bolivia on October 5, 2014. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/03/2014)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis