AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
Cochabamba (Agenzia Fides ) - "It is a shame that the people no longer have hope in this government": This is what was expressed by the president of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference (CEB), Mgr. Oscar Aparicio, in his opening speech at the assembly of the Bishops of Bolivia.
The note sent to Fides reports what the Bishop said: "Because of social decline and corruption, society, the press, authorities, justice and the Church cannot remain silent. We must do everything in our power to make the truth shine, because as the Evangelist John says, the truth shall make you free".
In his message (see Fides 27/03/2014) Mgr. Aparicio asked the political organizations that will participate in the next general election to present proposals "without cheating and without seeking mutual delegitimization".
Mgr. Aparicio hopes that "the interests of the whole population prevail" in the next general election.
The Bolivian Constitution only allows two consecutive presidential terms, however, President Evo Morales, who has been governing Bolivia since 2006, will try to extend his third term in office until 2020, with the approval of the Constitutional Court. The elections are scheduled in Bolivia on October 5, 2014. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/03/2014)
- 2014-09-04 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Catholic Bishops of Bolivia and Peru take communications course “For a culture of encounter”
- 2014-08-05 - National holiday: the Church hopes for unity and peace, in view of the forthcoming elections
- 2014-08-04 - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners