AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
Cochabamba (Agenzia Fides ) - "It is a shame that the people no longer have hope in this government": This is what was expressed by the president of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference (CEB), Mgr. Oscar Aparicio, in his opening speech at the assembly of the Bishops of Bolivia.
The note sent to Fides reports what the Bishop said: "Because of social decline and corruption, society, the press, authorities, justice and the Church cannot remain silent. We must do everything in our power to make the truth shine, because as the Evangelist John says, the truth shall make you free".
In his message (see Fides 27/03/2014) Mgr. Aparicio asked the political organizations that will participate in the next general election to present proposals "without cheating and without seeking mutual delegitimization".
Mgr. Aparicio hopes that "the interests of the whole population prevail" in the next general election.
The Bolivian Constitution only allows two consecutive presidential terms, however, President Evo Morales, who has been governing Bolivia since 2006, will try to extend his third term in office until 2020, with the approval of the Constitutional Court. The elections are scheduled in Bolivia on October 5, 2014. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/03/2014)
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis
- 2015-07-29 - Government and people commence dialogue for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Parishes shelter demonstrators demanding solutions to the mining question
- 2015-07-09 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – The faithful wait "standing" for the arrival of the Pope
- 2015-07-08 - "The world needs to change": Cardinal Turkson opens the World Meeting of Social Movements
- 2015-06-26 - The Pope will conclude the World Meeting of Social Movements
- 2015-05-27 - Radio and TV to announce the Gospel in the Vicariate of Nuflo de Chavez