ASIA/PAKISTAN - Today fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Christians are united in Lahore today, March 28, in a day of fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih, both Christians and unjustly condemned to death on charges of blasphemy. An intense prayer meeting was organized by the Catholic community at the Santa Maria Minor Seminary, in Lahore. It was attended by priests, religious, seminarians and lay faithful. "Although we are the most vulnerable citizens of Pakistan, we pray for justice and human rights for all minorities, as guaranteed by the founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah", said Fr. Inayat Bernard to those present.
During the Day, prayers, invocations and hymns were carried out as well as Bible passages alternated with direct testimony, such as that of pastor of the "Joseph Colony", the Christian area attacked a year ago by Islamic extremists. A catechist present, Pervez Paulus, remarked that the faithful in the area are still waiting for justice and are "saddened". All expressed confidence in the Lahore High Court, so that justice is done. Christians believe that, in order to avoid abuse of the blasphemy law, a rule could be introduced on the basis of which if false accusations are proven, the same penalty is imposed on the accused. (IB -PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/03/2014)
- 2015-11-26 - Kidnapping and conversion of a 13-year-old Christian girl to Islam
- 2015-11-24 - The first hearing in the appeal case of blasphemy convicted Sajjad Masih Gill fixed
- 2015-11-20 - Need to recognize the persecution of minorities
- 2015-11-18 - Francis of Assisi and the encyclical "Laudato Sì"
- 2015-11-16 - Archbishop Shaw: "Christians in Pakistan pray for Paris"
- 2015-11-13 - Christian activist shot in the legs
- 2015-11-12 - Christian students are prohibited to use the toilets used by Muslims at school
- 2015-11-10 - Discrimination in the education system: a petition to the Supreme Court
- 2015-11-09 - Christians: there is "selection", not "election" of minorities in the local vote
- 2015-11-05 - A year ago a Christian couple was burned alive: today new life for their children