ASIA/PAKISTAN - Today fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Christians are united in Lahore today, March 28, in a day of fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih, both Christians and unjustly condemned to death on charges of blasphemy. An intense prayer meeting was organized by the Catholic community at the Santa Maria Minor Seminary, in Lahore. It was attended by priests, religious, seminarians and lay faithful. "Although we are the most vulnerable citizens of Pakistan, we pray for justice and human rights for all minorities, as guaranteed by the founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah", said Fr. Inayat Bernard to those present.
During the Day, prayers, invocations and hymns were carried out as well as Bible passages alternated with direct testimony, such as that of pastor of the "Joseph Colony", the Christian area attacked a year ago by Islamic extremists. A catechist present, Pervez Paulus, remarked that the faithful in the area are still waiting for justice and are "saddened". All expressed confidence in the Lahore High Court, so that justice is done. Christians believe that, in order to avoid abuse of the blasphemy law, a rule could be introduced on the basis of which if false accusations are proven, the same penalty is imposed on the accused. (IB -PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/03/2014)
- 2014-11-27 - The first Catholic radio in Pakistan
- 2014-11-25 - Christian tortured and killed while in police custody
- 2014-11-24 - Christian couple burned alive: the Supreme Court intervenes
- 2014-11-20 - Violence against minorities: the governor of Punjab meets religious leaders
- 2014-11-19 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – From the Bishops a "Magna Charta" to the government: to curb religious intolerance
- 2014-11-18 - Christian and Muslim leaders: it is urgent to amend the blasphemy law
- 2014-11-17 - Christian arrested for blasphemy; investigation into the murder of Kasur continues
- 2014-11-14 - Blasphemy in Pakistan, data on victims: who will pay off all the suffering?
- 2014-11-13 - Christian and Muslim leaders: justice and prayer for the couple burned alive
- 2014-11-12 - The state has given the St. Francis school back to the Church