ASIA/PAKISTAN - Today fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Christians are united in Lahore today, March 28, in a day of fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih, both Christians and unjustly condemned to death on charges of blasphemy. An intense prayer meeting was organized by the Catholic community at the Santa Maria Minor Seminary, in Lahore. It was attended by priests, religious, seminarians and lay faithful. "Although we are the most vulnerable citizens of Pakistan, we pray for justice and human rights for all minorities, as guaranteed by the founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah", said Fr. Inayat Bernard to those present.
During the Day, prayers, invocations and hymns were carried out as well as Bible passages alternated with direct testimony, such as that of pastor of the "Joseph Colony", the Christian area attacked a year ago by Islamic extremists. A catechist present, Pervez Paulus, remarked that the faithful in the area are still waiting for justice and are "saddened". All expressed confidence in the Lahore High Court, so that justice is done. Christians believe that, in order to avoid abuse of the blasphemy law, a rule could be introduced on the basis of which if false accusations are proven, the same penalty is imposed on the accused. (IB -PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/03/2014)
- 2015-03-05 - Archbishop Joseph Coutts: "God is close to us, in spite of evil"
- 2015-03-05 - Threats and retaliation for health workers involved in vaccination against polio
- 2015-03-03 - In defense of the rights of minorities, Shahbaz Bhatti remembered
- 2015-02-25 - New Amnesty Report: "Religious intolerance increases"
- 2015-02-23 - Robbery and kidnapping in a Catholic church
- 2015-02-17 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Women’s Day in Faisalabad: greater rights and dignity for working women
- 2015-02-16 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Expectation for appeal verdict for the murderer of governor Taseer
- 2015-02-13 - Blasphemy: the judiciary in Punjab lists 50 unfounded cases and organizes rapid trials
- 2015-02-10 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "Blessed are the parents who teach love, not hatred to their children"
- 2015-01-31 - "Ensuring security and justice for minorities": New Report by Human Rights Watch