ASIA/PAKISTAN - Today fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Christians are united in Lahore today, March 28, in a day of fasting and prayer for Asia Bibi and for Sawan Masih, both Christians and unjustly condemned to death on charges of blasphemy. An intense prayer meeting was organized by the Catholic community at the Santa Maria Minor Seminary, in Lahore. It was attended by priests, religious, seminarians and lay faithful. "Although we are the most vulnerable citizens of Pakistan, we pray for justice and human rights for all minorities, as guaranteed by the founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah", said Fr. Inayat Bernard to those present.
During the Day, prayers, invocations and hymns were carried out as well as Bible passages alternated with direct testimony, such as that of pastor of the "Joseph Colony", the Christian area attacked a year ago by Islamic extremists. A catechist present, Pervez Paulus, remarked that the faithful in the area are still waiting for justice and are "saddened". All expressed confidence in the Lahore High Court, so that justice is done. Christians believe that, in order to avoid abuse of the blasphemy law, a rule could be introduced on the basis of which if false accusations are proven, the same penalty is imposed on the accused. (IB -PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/03/2014)
- 2015-08-03 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Floods and monsoon rains continue to strike the country causing major damage to people and structures
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Young Christian woman abducted and forced into Islamic marriage
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Every year a thousand Christian and Hindu girls suffer forced conversion to Islam and abuse
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Minor Christian girl sold and abused
- 2015-07-22 - The Dominican Channan: "Dialogue with Islam to change the blasphemy law"
- 2015-07-22 - Asia Bibi's case before the Supreme Court: sentence suspended and review of the case
- 2015-07-21 - Two Christian brothers arrested on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-07-07 - The government bans to translate holy Islamic terms
- 2015-07-02 - The police save a Christian accused of blasphemy from being lynched
- 2015-07-01 - Three missionary nuns forced to leave Pakistan