ASIA/IRAQ - UN Mission in Iraq: without respect for minorities, there is no democracy
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - "All too commonly non-majority communities suffer from multiple forms of discrimination and marginalization that detrimentally affect their full and equal participation in the political, economic and social life of the Country. And without full respect of the rights of different communities, democracy in Iraq will not arrive". This is what the Hungarian Yorgy Busztin, deputy representative of the UN Secretary General for Iraq said at the launch of what may be the first ever Conference on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Iraqi's Diverse Ethnic, Religious and Linguistic Comunities held in Baghdad, organized by UNAMI Human Rights Office, which began Wednesday, March 26, in partnership with the Alliance for Iraqi Minorities (AIM) and brings together 60 participants representing all of Iraq's diverse ethnic, cultural and religious communities. All minority groups - said Busztin - "are essential components of the Iraqi people and deserve protection and respect".
Local sources told Fides Agency that the discussions will focus on key issues affecting their communities and will agree on a roadmap for legal, institutional and policy reforms aimed at ensuring their protection and enhancing respect for their full and equal participation in the political, economic, social and cultural life of the Country. It is also envisaged that the Conference will adopt a Declaration on Principles on the rights and fundamental freedoms of Iraq's minority communities. The roadmap and the declaration of principles will serve as the key platform for advocacy with the incoming Government following the general elections to be held end April 2014. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV