ASIA/IRAQ - UN Mission in Iraq: without respect for minorities, there is no democracy
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - "All too commonly non-majority communities suffer from multiple forms of discrimination and marginalization that detrimentally affect their full and equal participation in the political, economic and social life of the Country. And without full respect of the rights of different communities, democracy in Iraq will not arrive". This is what the Hungarian Yorgy Busztin, deputy representative of the UN Secretary General for Iraq said at the launch of what may be the first ever Conference on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Iraqi's Diverse Ethnic, Religious and Linguistic Comunities held in Baghdad, organized by UNAMI Human Rights Office, which began Wednesday, March 26, in partnership with the Alliance for Iraqi Minorities (AIM) and brings together 60 participants representing all of Iraq's diverse ethnic, cultural and religious communities. All minority groups - said Busztin - "are essential components of the Iraqi people and deserve protection and respect".
Local sources told Fides Agency that the discussions will focus on key issues affecting their communities and will agree on a roadmap for legal, institutional and policy reforms aimed at ensuring their protection and enhancing respect for their full and equal participation in the political, economic, social and cultural life of the Country. It is also envisaged that the Conference will adopt a Declaration on Principles on the rights and fundamental freedoms of Iraq's minority communities. The roadmap and the declaration of principles will serve as the key platform for advocacy with the incoming Government following the general elections to be held end April 2014. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"