ASIA/PAKISTAN - "Pakistan Day": to remember the Constitution in order to build peace and harmony
Lahore ( Agenzia Fides) – To remember the Constitution of Pakistan as an opportunity to build peace and religious harmony in the country: was the reason of yesterday’s parade in Lahore March 23, on the occasion of the "Pakistan Day", a public holiday in Pakistan to remember the adoption of the Constitutional Charter and the birth of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. As reported to Fides, the event was organized by the "Council for Interreligious Dialogue" of the Archdiocese of Lahore, led by Capuchin friar Fr. Francis Nadeem, and saw the participation of young people of different religions. Citizen civic leaders, religious and political leaders of different faiths, Christians, Hindus and Muslims participated. The keypoints of the event were: "To be united under the Pakistani flag", "No to war and yes to peace", "No hatred, but love". The leaders present were reminded that "Pakistan is a nation fruit of the vision of far-sighted and just men such as Muhammad Iqbal, and the father of the nation, Muhammad Ali Jinnah. Our fathers sacrificed their lives for Pakistan, a country where they did not want discrimination of religion, caste or creed".
Given the difficulties currently encountered at a social and religious level, especially for minorities, the participants shared the desire to "eliminate all differences and hatred and to promote peace and harmony throughout the country". The organizer, Fr. Francis Nadeem, reiterated the urgent need to promote peace and interfaith dialogue. He highlighted the role of media in order to eliminate any sort of hatred, prejudice and discrimination in society. The event was concluded with a prayer for peace and harmony in Pakistan. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2014)
- 2014-07-28 - "Terrorism and intolerance are the wounds of Pakistan"
- 2014-07-24 - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
- 2014-07-05 - Escape from terrorism and extremism: the exodus of religious minorities has started
- 2014-07-03 - Terrorist groups settle in the Christian area of Essa Nagri in Karachi
- 2014-07-01 - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "A new springtime for the Church in our country"
- 2014-06-28 - Discrimination and violence against a Christian businessman, threatened by Islamic extremists
- 2014-06-25 - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
- 2014-06-24 - Historic decision: the birth of the "National Council for the rights of minorities"
- 2014-06-20 - Missio-Aachen: a year dedicated to Pakistan