AMERICA/MEXICO - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, Archbishop Christopher Pierre, presided over the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Diocese of Veracruz (Mexico), and during the celebration deplored the levels of violence that disrupt the region, both the state of Michoacán and the rest of the country. According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pierre pointed out that violence represents a loss of values in society, and for this reason, has launched an appeal to engage in the new evangelization.
During the celebration, held on Saturday, March 22 at the Multicultural and Sports Center of Boca del Rio (World Trade Center), hundreds of faithful gathered for the occasion. The Archbishop said that the Church must lead the entire community to rediscover the values of respect for life, the people, the rejection of violence and corruption. One needs to start the work of evangelization again in order to combat the loss of faith in society - said the Nuncio - who recalled the five decades of the Diocese of Veracruz, where the first evangelists spread across the continent. In fact, Veracruz is on the Atlantic coast, facing Cuba and Santo Domingo.
At the end of the Mass the Bishop of Veracruz, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo, SDB, spoke of the historical importance of the diocese for the evangelization of Mexico and the continent. Now it is time to go and look for the "lost sheep" who have moved away from religion: "Unfortunately, 50 percent of the parishioners do not attend Mass and our challenge is to get them to come back, an enormous task", he said.
The diocese of Veracruz is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Jalapa and was erected on June 9, 1962 by Pope John XXIII. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/03/2014)
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus