AMERICA/MEXICO - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, Archbishop Christopher Pierre, presided over the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Diocese of Veracruz (Mexico), and during the celebration deplored the levels of violence that disrupt the region, both the state of Michoacán and the rest of the country. According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pierre pointed out that violence represents a loss of values in society, and for this reason, has launched an appeal to engage in the new evangelization.
During the celebration, held on Saturday, March 22 at the Multicultural and Sports Center of Boca del Rio (World Trade Center), hundreds of faithful gathered for the occasion. The Archbishop said that the Church must lead the entire community to rediscover the values of respect for life, the people, the rejection of violence and corruption. One needs to start the work of evangelization again in order to combat the loss of faith in society - said the Nuncio - who recalled the five decades of the Diocese of Veracruz, where the first evangelists spread across the continent. In fact, Veracruz is on the Atlantic coast, facing Cuba and Santo Domingo.
At the end of the Mass the Bishop of Veracruz, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo, SDB, spoke of the historical importance of the diocese for the evangelization of Mexico and the continent. Now it is time to go and look for the "lost sheep" who have moved away from religion: "Unfortunately, 50 percent of the parishioners do not attend Mass and our challenge is to get them to come back, an enormous task", he said.
The diocese of Veracruz is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Jalapa and was erected on June 9, 1962 by Pope John XXIII. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/03/2014)
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"