AMERICA/MEXICO - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico, Archbishop Christopher Pierre, presided over the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Diocese of Veracruz (Mexico), and during the celebration deplored the levels of violence that disrupt the region, both the state of Michoacán and the rest of the country. According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pierre pointed out that violence represents a loss of values in society, and for this reason, has launched an appeal to engage in the new evangelization.
During the celebration, held on Saturday, March 22 at the Multicultural and Sports Center of Boca del Rio (World Trade Center), hundreds of faithful gathered for the occasion. The Archbishop said that the Church must lead the entire community to rediscover the values of respect for life, the people, the rejection of violence and corruption. One needs to start the work of evangelization again in order to combat the loss of faith in society - said the Nuncio - who recalled the five decades of the Diocese of Veracruz, where the first evangelists spread across the continent. In fact, Veracruz is on the Atlantic coast, facing Cuba and Santo Domingo.
At the end of the Mass the Bishop of Veracruz, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Felipe Gallardo Martin del Campo, SDB, spoke of the historical importance of the diocese for the evangelization of Mexico and the continent. Now it is time to go and look for the "lost sheep" who have moved away from religion: "Unfortunately, 50 percent of the parishioners do not attend Mass and our challenge is to get them to come back, an enormous task", he said.
The diocese of Veracruz is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Jalapa and was erected on June 9, 1962 by Pope John XXIII. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/03/2014)
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations