AFRICA/KENYA - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "I do not know who committed the attack against the Evangelical church, but most probably it was committed by a group of fundamentalists", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, where yesterday, March 23, an attack was carried out against the evangelical Church of Likoni, during the Sunday celebration.
"I was not in Mombasa, but I was informed immediately over the phone by my collaborators about what had happened", says Mgr. Barbara. "According to what I was told, a gunman came shooting out the back door of the church, while the other two accomplices were at the main door to prevent the faithful to escape. Four people died on the spot and 21 were injured". According to local media, two of the people admitted to the hospital died later.
"The area of Mombasa is considered the stronghold of an Islamist movement of secession" adds the Bishop. "These groups even threaten the local Imam, accused of being moderate".
"In Kenya - continues the Bishop - it is believed that these groups are funded by some businessmen in Mombasa. The majority of the members of these groups are young people from Somalia, but there are also local youth who shoot and kill just for money, not because they are religious fanatics".
"Pray for us and especially for the conversion of the hearts of these young people, so they do not commit violence", concluded Bishop Barbara. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/03/2014)
- 2015-09-08 - The protest of teachers takes to the street, the Church calls for dialogue
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp