AFRICA/KENYA - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "I do not know who committed the attack against the Evangelical church, but most probably it was committed by a group of fundamentalists", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, where yesterday, March 23, an attack was carried out against the evangelical Church of Likoni, during the Sunday celebration.
"I was not in Mombasa, but I was informed immediately over the phone by my collaborators about what had happened", says Mgr. Barbara. "According to what I was told, a gunman came shooting out the back door of the church, while the other two accomplices were at the main door to prevent the faithful to escape. Four people died on the spot and 21 were injured". According to local media, two of the people admitted to the hospital died later.
"The area of Mombasa is considered the stronghold of an Islamist movement of secession" adds the Bishop. "These groups even threaten the local Imam, accused of being moderate".
"In Kenya - continues the Bishop - it is believed that these groups are funded by some businessmen in Mombasa. The majority of the members of these groups are young people from Somalia, but there are also local youth who shoot and kill just for money, not because they are religious fanatics".
"Pray for us and especially for the conversion of the hearts of these young people, so they do not commit violence", concluded Bishop Barbara. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/03/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor