AFRICA/KENYA - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "I do not know who committed the attack against the Evangelical church, but most probably it was committed by a group of fundamentalists", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, where yesterday, March 23, an attack was carried out against the evangelical Church of Likoni, during the Sunday celebration.
"I was not in Mombasa, but I was informed immediately over the phone by my collaborators about what had happened", says Mgr. Barbara. "According to what I was told, a gunman came shooting out the back door of the church, while the other two accomplices were at the main door to prevent the faithful to escape. Four people died on the spot and 21 were injured". According to local media, two of the people admitted to the hospital died later.
"The area of Mombasa is considered the stronghold of an Islamist movement of secession" adds the Bishop. "These groups even threaten the local Imam, accused of being moderate".
"In Kenya - continues the Bishop - it is believed that these groups are funded by some businessmen in Mombasa. The majority of the members of these groups are young people from Somalia, but there are also local youth who shoot and kill just for money, not because they are religious fanatics".
"Pray for us and especially for the conversion of the hearts of these young people, so they do not commit violence", concluded Bishop Barbara. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/03/2014)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana