AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Bishops, missionaries, believers from all over the country: we want peace!
Margarita (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church will always be ready to act as a mediator, to work and above all to continue to contribute to peace: is what was said by the Bishop of the Diocese of Margarita, His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Anibal Quintero. Missionaries, Bishops, the faithful of the parishes, scattered throughout the country want peace.
During the celebration of the Solemnity of St. Joseph of Paraguachi, in the Diocese of Margarita, Mgr. Jorge Anibal Quintero Chacón invoked God so that Venezuela soon finds the path of peace and the young students get what they ask for by demonstrating in the streets: security in the country and their future. The Bishop said that "the Catholic Church is one of the institutions that has always worked for peace and now is willing to act as a mediator between the parties"
Fides also received the appeal on behalf of the Bishop of the Diocese of San Cristóbal, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Moronta, who asked the media to pay more attention, because in this critical moment, "it is important to inform with truth". "We reiterate our concern because of the conflict, and it is time to overcome this situation, not only through dialogue, but also with facts", said the Bishop, who says: "Violence must end, the authorities must respect the laws and human rights, and if people want to protest, it must be done peacefully".
The demonstrations against the government continue to be stained with blood: other 3 people were killed, bringing to 29 the death toll since the beginning of the protests. Two days ago, in the state of Tachir, where it all started, the mayor of San Cristobal, Daniel Ceballos, a member of the opposition was arrested. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals