AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Bishops, missionaries, believers from all over the country: we want peace!
Margarita (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church will always be ready to act as a mediator, to work and above all to continue to contribute to peace: is what was said by the Bishop of the Diocese of Margarita, His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Anibal Quintero. Missionaries, Bishops, the faithful of the parishes, scattered throughout the country want peace.
During the celebration of the Solemnity of St. Joseph of Paraguachi, in the Diocese of Margarita, Mgr. Jorge Anibal Quintero Chacón invoked God so that Venezuela soon finds the path of peace and the young students get what they ask for by demonstrating in the streets: security in the country and their future. The Bishop said that "the Catholic Church is one of the institutions that has always worked for peace and now is willing to act as a mediator between the parties"
Fides also received the appeal on behalf of the Bishop of the Diocese of San Cristóbal, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Moronta, who asked the media to pay more attention, because in this critical moment, "it is important to inform with truth". "We reiterate our concern because of the conflict, and it is time to overcome this situation, not only through dialogue, but also with facts", said the Bishop, who says: "Violence must end, the authorities must respect the laws and human rights, and if people want to protest, it must be done peacefully".
The demonstrations against the government continue to be stained with blood: other 3 people were killed, bringing to 29 the death toll since the beginning of the protests. Two days ago, in the state of Tachir, where it all started, the mayor of San Cristobal, Daniel Ceballos, a member of the opposition was arrested. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval