ASIA/SRI LANKA - The Oblate missionaries: importance to guarantee the respect of human rights in Sri Lanka
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – Satisfaction for the release of the missionary Fr. Praveen Mahesan, OMI, and Ruki Fernando, a priest and an activist who had been stopped by the police on March 16; concern for the perpetuation of abuse and sudden disappearances of activists: is what was expressed in a statement by the "Justice and Peace" Office of the General Curia of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) sent to Fides Agency. In supporting the legality and condemning all forms of impunity, the statement calls on the Government of Sri Lanka to ensure in all circumstances the physical and psychological integrity and security of all human rights defenders in Sri Lanka. It also calls for the immediate release of Ms. Balendran Jeyakumari, a Tamil woman who was carrying out a campaign against disappearances, and to comply with the provisions of the UN Declaration on Human Rights in promoting human rights and fundamental freedoms of the individual in Sri Lanka. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2014)
- 2015-09-18 - Thousands of civilians disabled by the war without any assistance
- 2015-06-23 - The Bishops: "The representation of minorities in Parliament has to be ensured"
- 2015-02-13 - Civil society: "Confidence in the hundred days of the new government's reforms"
- 2015-01-28 - Cardinal Ranjith: for peace and religious harmony, the government "is on the right path"
- 2015-01-14 - The local Church: "From Madhu hope to revive peace"
- 2015-01-13 - "The presence of the Pope, a sign of peace and unity, a wake up call for the nation"
- 2015-01-12 - Cardinal Ranjith: "The Pope's visit will be an impetus to reconciliation"
- 2015-01-09 - The Bishops: "a new era of peace and reconciliation with newly-elected president Sirisena"
- 2014-12-29 - Presidential election campaign, while the Catholic Church is preparing itself for the Pope's visit
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops, between the Pope's visit and elections: "The visit will take place without any problems"