AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The rainy season is approaching, emergency aid for displaced people is urgently needed" say religious leaders
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are here to get everybody to hear the cry that comes from deep in the heart of the Central African people, who are experiencing the most tragic moments of their history. We can no longer remain without doing anything", said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui, at the Brookings Institution, a leading U.S. think-tank. Mgr. Nzapalainga is in Washington due to a visit that the Central Africans members of the "religious platform for peace" are carrying out in the U.S. to ask for an increase in international aid for their Country (see Fides 17/03/2014).
In particular, the Archbishop of Bangui said one needs to go beyond what the African and French missions in Central African Republic (MISCA and Sangaris) are doing and reiterated that "it is time to organize the UN peacekeeping operation".
The urgent need for a UN intervention was also emphasized by Pastor Nicolas Grékoyamé - Gbangou, President of the Evangelical Churches, who recalled how the rainy season is approaching. The displaced people have nothing to protect themselves with and this certainly will aggravate the situation, which is already very precarious.
The three representatives of the "religious platform for peace" were received at the State Department, at the National Security Council and at the Congress. Further meetings are planned with representatives of the World Bank and USAID (the U.S. agency for development aid)
The religious leaders have asked for assistance in the field of justice and for the fight against impunity and education. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2014)
- 2014-10-15 - Contacts with the kidnappers of the Polish missionary
- 2014-10-08 - Despite chaos and violence in Bozoum, schools have reopened and the pastoral year has started
- 2014-10-03 - Caritas France: "The situation is still critical because of violence"
- 2014-10-01 - "The crisis pushes more and more faithful to religious syncretism" denounces Mgr. Nzapalainga
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed