ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Political leaders and all those who wish to remain faithful to the Lebanese nation must put "an end to the attrition in the Country, giving confidence in the government in order to relaunch the legislative activity". This is what the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Boutros Bechara Rai said during the Mass celebrated at the patriarchal seat in Bkerké for operators of Caritas Lebanon to mark the start of the appointment of the new President, Father Paul Karam. In his homily, delivered on Sunday, March 16 during the celebration of the Liturgy, the Patriarch condemned the divisive tensions put in place by the opposing political forces that continue to threaten the unity of the Country of the cedars.
In particular, His Beatitude Rai reiterated the need to eliminate all the "concerns expressed in relation to the State as a unitary authority in reference to its territory, its people and its institutions" as is enshrined in the preamble of the Constitution in force in Lebanon.
The last conflict had arisen around the government’s statement published last week, where among other things reference was made to the "right of the Lebanese people to resist the Israeli occupation, reject its attacks and recover the occupied territories". The representatives of the Kataeb party had interpreted this as an implicit recognition of engraved freedom of maneuver for the militias linked to the Shiite party of Hezbollah, and this is why they had threatened to abandon the government team which had just been formed under the leadership of Prime Minister Tammam Salam.
During the Mass, the Maronite Patriarch wished the new President of Caritas Lebanon to operate profitably in addressing the exorbitant problems that the body will be found to deal with.
Fr. Karam stresses that aid and prayer are needed. Caritas Lebanon has just received a donation of 750 thousand dollars from Belgium. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2014)
- 2015-04-13 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX: the Pope's words on the Genocide express the conscience of mankind, they are not "against" anyone
- 2015-03-31 - Religious Lebanese leaders denounce a plan of sectarian fragmentation of the Middle East
- 2015-03-26 - Christians and Muslims celebrate together the feast of the Annunciation
- 2015-03-17 - The Maronite Church calls for a law to ensure emigrants the recovery of Lebanese nationality
- 2015-03-06 - The Maronite Church promotes the donation of organs
- 2015-03-05 - Meeting between representatives of Hezbollah and the Maronite Church on the election of the President
- 2015-03-03 - Former General Aoun: let us welcome Christians fleeing Syria
- 2015-02-23 - Syrian-Catholic Patriarch opens centenary commemoration of the Assyrian genocide
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/LEBANON – Maronite Patriarch says: the return of Hariri is a positive fact for the Lebanese nation
- 2015-02-10 - Maronite Archbishop Matar: Lebanon must adopt a strategy to distance itself from regional conflicts