AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Cardinal Brenes: "the Church is ready to dialogue with the President"
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - Newly-elected Cardinal José Leopoldo Brenes Solórzano, Archbishop of Managua, said that the Catholic Church is ready to dialogue with President Daniel Ortega only when he decides to sit down with the Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN). According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, the Cardinal made this statement on Sunday, March 16, when he was greeted with joy and affection by hundreds of faithful in his native city of Ticuantepe.
Local observers note that since Archbishop Brenes has been created Cardinal, President Ortega has shown particular interest in speaking with the Church (see Fides 12/03/2014). It is also to be remembered that the Bishops of CEN have tried to dialogue with him for more than seven years, without success. "Until we have confirmation ... we cannot prepare anything to be discussed in the dialogue. We hope the President lets us know where and when to meet" said Cardinal Brenes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2014)
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua