AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Cardinal Brenes: "the Church is ready to dialogue with the President"
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - Newly-elected Cardinal José Leopoldo Brenes Solórzano, Archbishop of Managua, said that the Catholic Church is ready to dialogue with President Daniel Ortega only when he decides to sit down with the Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN). According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, the Cardinal made this statement on Sunday, March 16, when he was greeted with joy and affection by hundreds of faithful in his native city of Ticuantepe.
Local observers note that since Archbishop Brenes has been created Cardinal, President Ortega has shown particular interest in speaking with the Church (see Fides 12/03/2014). It is also to be remembered that the Bishops of CEN have tried to dialogue with him for more than seven years, without success. "Until we have confirmation ... we cannot prepare anything to be discussed in the dialogue. We hope the President lets us know where and when to meet" said Cardinal Brenes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished