AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Cardinal Brenes: "the Church is ready to dialogue with the President"
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - Newly-elected Cardinal José Leopoldo Brenes Solórzano, Archbishop of Managua, said that the Catholic Church is ready to dialogue with President Daniel Ortega only when he decides to sit down with the Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN). According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, the Cardinal made this statement on Sunday, March 16, when he was greeted with joy and affection by hundreds of faithful in his native city of Ticuantepe.
Local observers note that since Archbishop Brenes has been created Cardinal, President Ortega has shown particular interest in speaking with the Church (see Fides 12/03/2014). It is also to be remembered that the Bishops of CEN have tried to dialogue with him for more than seven years, without success. "Until we have confirmation ... we cannot prepare anything to be discussed in the dialogue. We hope the President lets us know where and when to meet" said Cardinal Brenes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2014)
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"