AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying
Beni (Agenzia Fides) - Many families are still isolated in the Beni area, due to heavy rains. Fides is in contact with some missionaries who, through social networks, are able to inform us on the terrible situation that this area of Bolivia is experiencing. Parishes have become service centers and missionaries are trying by all means to help the families most affected, even if there are no material resources. In the last three weeks there have been 59 deaths and 60,000 homeless.
The Minister of the Presidency, Juan Ramon Quintana, said the floods continue to worry the government, particularly in the north–west: "the municipality of Guayaramerín (in Beni) on the border with Brazil, is where government efforts are mainly focused, given that there are 1,700 affected families: 450 families in urban areas and 1,200 in rural areas". "Our biggest concern is the area of Mamoré-Madeira, especially in the municipality of Guayaramerín" said Quintana, announcing that the national government is putting in place steps to provide food to the victims and set up tents for first aid. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - 50% of children who are born with Chagas' disease do not receive any medical care
- 2014-10-11 - Mission Month: schools in Sucre also go on missions
- 2014-10-02 - The priority for the Auxiliary Bishop of Reyes: "Working to be a single Christian community"
- 2014-09-04 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Catholic Bishops of Bolivia and Peru take communications course “For a culture of encounter”
- 2014-08-05 - National holiday: the Church hopes for unity and peace, in view of the forthcoming elections
- 2014-08-04 - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections