AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying
Beni (Agenzia Fides) - Many families are still isolated in the Beni area, due to heavy rains. Fides is in contact with some missionaries who, through social networks, are able to inform us on the terrible situation that this area of Bolivia is experiencing. Parishes have become service centers and missionaries are trying by all means to help the families most affected, even if there are no material resources. In the last three weeks there have been 59 deaths and 60,000 homeless.
The Minister of the Presidency, Juan Ramon Quintana, said the floods continue to worry the government, particularly in the north–west: "the municipality of Guayaramerín (in Beni) on the border with Brazil, is where government efforts are mainly focused, given that there are 1,700 affected families: 450 families in urban areas and 1,200 in rural areas". "Our biggest concern is the area of Mamoré-Madeira, especially in the municipality of Guayaramerín" said Quintana, announcing that the national government is putting in place steps to provide food to the victims and set up tents for first aid. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis