AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Teachers’ strike must be solved with students in the classroom", asks the Bishop of Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mar del Plata, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Marino, has publicly asked "the teachers’ strike to be solved with students in the classroom". The note sent to Fides Agency reports that such a request was expressed on the occasion of the blessing on behalf of the Bishop, of an exhibition dedicated to Pope Francis, inaugurated on Saturday March 15 at the Museum of the Sea, while at the entrance of the exhibition a group of teachers protested in defense of their wage demands. The journalists present questioned governor Daniel Scioli, who said he agreed with the Bishop.
Mgr. Antonio Marino has asked the authorities and teachers to reflect on the situation and to consider the solution to the dispute as urgent, because "children are not to blame". The Bishop is concerned about parents who are worried because their children have not received any lessons for days, about teachers who suffer unjust wages and about authorities "overwhelmed by the economic situation". While negotiations between the government and teachers' unions have stopped, teachers have suspended their lessons for 10 days in the public schools of the province of Buenos Aires, which involves 3.2 million students. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"