AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Teachers’ strike must be solved with students in the classroom", asks the Bishop of Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mar del Plata, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Marino, has publicly asked "the teachers’ strike to be solved with students in the classroom". The note sent to Fides Agency reports that such a request was expressed on the occasion of the blessing on behalf of the Bishop, of an exhibition dedicated to Pope Francis, inaugurated on Saturday March 15 at the Museum of the Sea, while at the entrance of the exhibition a group of teachers protested in defense of their wage demands. The journalists present questioned governor Daniel Scioli, who said he agreed with the Bishop.
Mgr. Antonio Marino has asked the authorities and teachers to reflect on the situation and to consider the solution to the dispute as urgent, because "children are not to blame". The Bishop is concerned about parents who are worried because their children have not received any lessons for days, about teachers who suffer unjust wages and about authorities "overwhelmed by the economic situation". While negotiations between the government and teachers' unions have stopped, teachers have suspended their lessons for 10 days in the public schools of the province of Buenos Aires, which involves 3.2 million students. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2014-12-19 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Bishops: "Working together to build a more fraternal Country"
- 2014-12-17 - Church and government meet again
- 2014-12-11 - Drug and human trafficking: "There are people who have money stained with blood in their pocket"
- 2014-11-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Debate on the mining law, the Bishops ask respect for the environment
- 2014-11-05 - The fight against drugs should be considered a State matter
- 2014-11-04 - Two thousand secondary school teachers gathered for the XII Education Forum
- 2014-10-30 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Drugs: "it is urgent to move from concern to action"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops' spot: where are the children who disappeared during the State terrorism?
- 2014-10-11 - During the debate on drugs, the government also looks at the position of Bishops
- 2014-10-09 - Strong commitment of the Diocese of Quilmes against human trafficking and related crimes