AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Teachers’ strike must be solved with students in the classroom", asks the Bishop of Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mar del Plata, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Marino, has publicly asked "the teachers’ strike to be solved with students in the classroom". The note sent to Fides Agency reports that such a request was expressed on the occasion of the blessing on behalf of the Bishop, of an exhibition dedicated to Pope Francis, inaugurated on Saturday March 15 at the Museum of the Sea, while at the entrance of the exhibition a group of teachers protested in defense of their wage demands. The journalists present questioned governor Daniel Scioli, who said he agreed with the Bishop.
Mgr. Antonio Marino has asked the authorities and teachers to reflect on the situation and to consider the solution to the dispute as urgent, because "children are not to blame". The Bishop is concerned about parents who are worried because their children have not received any lessons for days, about teachers who suffer unjust wages and about authorities "overwhelmed by the economic situation". While negotiations between the government and teachers' unions have stopped, teachers have suspended their lessons for 10 days in the public schools of the province of Buenos Aires, which involves 3.2 million students. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2015-08-31 - Meeting of the PMS of Cone sur: from Ad Gentes to Evangelii Gaudium
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas