AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Teachers’ strike must be solved with students in the classroom", asks the Bishop of Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mar del Plata, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Marino, has publicly asked "the teachers’ strike to be solved with students in the classroom". The note sent to Fides Agency reports that such a request was expressed on the occasion of the blessing on behalf of the Bishop, of an exhibition dedicated to Pope Francis, inaugurated on Saturday March 15 at the Museum of the Sea, while at the entrance of the exhibition a group of teachers protested in defense of their wage demands. The journalists present questioned governor Daniel Scioli, who said he agreed with the Bishop.
Mgr. Antonio Marino has asked the authorities and teachers to reflect on the situation and to consider the solution to the dispute as urgent, because "children are not to blame". The Bishop is concerned about parents who are worried because their children have not received any lessons for days, about teachers who suffer unjust wages and about authorities "overwhelmed by the economic situation". While negotiations between the government and teachers' unions have stopped, teachers have suspended their lessons for 10 days in the public schools of the province of Buenos Aires, which involves 3.2 million students. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2015-11-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – For the Bishops: to encourage gambling addiction "is a crime against the poorest"
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years