AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We want to pass on an essential message: that the conflict in the Central African Republic is not about religion", said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon during the meeting held in New York with the leaders of the "religious platform for peace": His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Oumar Kobine Layama, respectively Archbishop of and Imam of Bangui and Pastor Nicolas Grékoyamé-Gbangou, President of the Evangelical Churches.
The Secretary- General said he was "honored" to meet the three religious leaders, whom he described as a "powerful symbol of their country’s longstanding tradition of peaceful coexistence". "Religious and ethnic affiliations are being manipulated for political purposes", said Ban Ki-moon.
The religious leaders illustrated the dramatic situated being experienced in Central Africa (see Fides 08/03/2014) to the UN Security Council. The UN Secretary-General explained that CAR needs more “more aid to save lives” and “more troops and police to protect civilians,” and urged the Security Council to act quickly on those recommendations for a United Nations peacekeeping operation. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui