AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We want to pass on an essential message: that the conflict in the Central African Republic is not about religion", said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon during the meeting held in New York with the leaders of the "religious platform for peace": His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Oumar Kobine Layama, respectively Archbishop of and Imam of Bangui and Pastor Nicolas Grékoyamé-Gbangou, President of the Evangelical Churches.
The Secretary- General said he was "honored" to meet the three religious leaders, whom he described as a "powerful symbol of their country’s longstanding tradition of peaceful coexistence". "Religious and ethnic affiliations are being manipulated for political purposes", said Ban Ki-moon.
The religious leaders illustrated the dramatic situated being experienced in Central Africa (see Fides 08/03/2014) to the UN Security Council. The UN Secretary-General explained that CAR needs more “more aid to save lives” and “more troops and police to protect civilians,” and urged the Security Council to act quickly on those recommendations for a United Nations peacekeeping operation. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"
- 2014-11-28 - The head of the group that had seized the Polish priest has been released
- 2014-11-27 - The Vicar General of Bouar: "Fr. Mateusz is fine and was released without the use of force"
- 2014-11-25 - Mgr. Nzapalainga and the Church in aid of former Seleka rebels: a gesture of forgiveness and reconciliation
- 2014-11-20 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Award given to the leaders of the "platform of Religious for Peace", including the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-10-15 - Contacts with the kidnappers of the Polish missionary
- 2014-10-08 - Despite chaos and violence in Bozoum, schools have reopened and the pastoral year has started
- 2014-10-03 - Caritas France: "The situation is still critical because of violence"