AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We want to pass on an essential message: that the conflict in the Central African Republic is not about religion", said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon during the meeting held in New York with the leaders of the "religious platform for peace": His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Oumar Kobine Layama, respectively Archbishop of and Imam of Bangui and Pastor Nicolas Grékoyamé-Gbangou, President of the Evangelical Churches.
The Secretary- General said he was "honored" to meet the three religious leaders, whom he described as a "powerful symbol of their country’s longstanding tradition of peaceful coexistence". "Religious and ethnic affiliations are being manipulated for political purposes", said Ban Ki-moon.
The religious leaders illustrated the dramatic situated being experienced in Central Africa (see Fides 08/03/2014) to the UN Security Council. The UN Secretary-General explained that CAR needs more “more aid to save lives” and “more troops and police to protect civilians,” and urged the Security Council to act quickly on those recommendations for a United Nations peacekeeping operation. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced