AMERICA/HAITI - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - After more than a month of tense dialogue, Cardinal Chibly Langlois, who has been invited to serve as a mediator in a national political crisis (see Fides 25/2/2014; 14/3/2014), announced on Friday evening, March 14th, that after some changes to the original text (see Fides 18/02/2014), Haitian President Michel Martelly, Senator Steven Benoit representing the President of the Senate (absent due to a trip) and representatives of political parties, signed the agreement reached thanks to inter-Haitian dialogue.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, on signing the agreement, President Martelly expressed his satisfaction:"success was reached through dialogue, because the situation was not easy. I congratulate Parliament for its contribution. The first round of the elections will be held on October 26, 2014".
Senator Steven Benoit also expressed appreciation for the commitment of political leaders, who agreed to help solve the political problem of the country: "the agreement is not perfect, but it is a step towards change. It is an act of political responsibility, the demonstration of patriotic conscience and civic engagement", though deploring the absence of some leaders of opposition parties. Cardinal Langlois stressed the determination of those involved in the dialogue that agreed to sign the agreement: "Dialogue has allowed us to grow as a country, we came out stronger, there are no losers in the dialogue, there are only winners".
Although the text of the agreement is not ready yet, the important points are as follows: the transformation of the College of the Permanent Electoral Council (CTCEP) in the Provisional Electoral Council; possibility for everyone to change one of the three representatives in the Electoral Council; creation of elections for two-thirds of the Senate, the Chamber of Deputies and local authorities; amendment of the electoral law; formation of an inclusive government. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/03/2014)
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis