AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The first Mass celebrated in Dallo Manna, in the house of a lay missionary
Dallo Manna (Agenzia Fides) – Dallo Manna is a town of about 50 thousand inhabitants of Ethiopia at the foot of the forest, in the region of Bale, about 130 km south of the capital Robe. Here the Church is carrying out an agro-food project, promoted by the Apostolic Prefect of Robe, Father Angelo Antolini, OFM Capp. In a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Capuchin missionary talks about his recent visit to Dallo Manna. "We worked all day with the two local lay who are helping us to prepare the agricultural activity project", said Fr. Angelo. "Later in the evening, we celebrated the Eucharist, in the house of a lay missionary in the presence of other people, including some Muslims. It was the first Mass in the city of Dallo Manna".
The project launched by the Prefect involves the creation of an agro-fruit factory, which follows all the phases of the cultivation of plants for human consumption, whose fruits will be distributed to the families of Dallo Manna, so that they can achieve food self-sufficiency. The main plant used is Moringa, which has excellent properties for human nourishment. The project also includes a livestock of 15-20 animals for the production of fertilizers; buildings for the technical and administrative management of the factory; 3 areas for the cultivation of various plantations; an oil mill for pressing the Moringa seeds". The population will be trained with regards to the complete cycle of the cultivation and use of fruits, as well as the hygiene rules to be adopted for proper nutrition. The harvest can be used for their own needs and Moringa seeds can be brought to the mill for the production of oil and "flour", both for family use and also to be sold. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2014)
- 2015-10-30 - Project for women and vulnerable children in the Somali region
- 2015-10-19 - The Bishop Emeritus who chose the mission: "A simple missionary, without any other titles"
- 2015-09-24 - The Episcopal Conferences of Africa obtain observer status at the African Union
- 2015-09-21 - The story of a missionary: "Making Jesus present among poor people who struggle to get by"
- 2015-08-24 - Caritas builds four schools for 4,800 South Sudanese refugees
- 2015-07-31 - “Print your Future” : Graphic Art for very vulnerable young people
- 2015-04-24 - The Bishops: "We plead to the human traffickers who are tricking the youth to leave their country through illegal means to stop their acts"
- 2015-04-14 - Easter resurrection and the birth of twins in one of the most forgotten areas in the world
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union