AFRICA/CONGO DR - To improve road communications in view of the national pilgrimage for the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Ecclesiastical Province of Kisangani (Democratic Republic of Congo) have launched an appeal to the governor of the Eastern Province to continue the work of improving the lines of communication of the most isolated places in area, in view of the celebrations of the fiftieth anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite.
At the end of their Assembly, the Bishops sent a message to the governor in which they outline their assessments on the state of the area.
The letter expresses appreciation for the organization of a round table to attract investors for the restoration works of the city streets and roads and for the improvement of security conditions. In particular, the Bishops welcome the efforts made for the opening of some roads in Tchopo, in Haut-Uele , in Bas-Uele and Ituri.
"We would like to inform you that the Catholic Church this year intends to organize a national pilgrimage to Isiro and Wamba to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite. For this reason, the reactivation of road infrastructure linking Kisangani, Isiro, Wamba, Ibambi, Bafwabaka, should be a priority to accommodate the many visitors who flock to our province".
"This national event will also be a good opportunity - says the message - to give visibility to the changes that are underway in the Eastern Province, thanks to you and your government". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2014)
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops