AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: over 500 Catholics killed and 20 churches and priests houses destroyed since 2009
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - More than 500 Catholics killed and 20 churches and priests houses destroyed. This is the death toll and damage carried out against the Catholic community in the north-east of Nigeria by the Islamist Boko Haram sect, since 2009. The assertion was made by the Catholic Bishop of Maiduguri, Most Rev. Oliver Dashe Doeme.
Mgr. Doeme says that at the root of the actions carried out by Boko Haram, that also kill for religious reasons, there is corruption. "Corruption is the number one problem of the nation – states the Bishop -, the Boko Haram insurgency is a product of corruption. The Federal Government should fight corruption headlong".
"It is sad to see how few people are sitting on billions of naira" (the local currency) added Bishop Doeme. "The youths that are involved in Boko Haram activities could have distanced themselves from it if they were given opportunities".
In an interview in 2011 with Fides Agency, Archbishop Doeme had denounced the connivance of some local politicians with Boko Haram: "The involvement of some politicians in the sect is relevant since its founding. At first it was a group created to defend the interests of certain politicians, then it turned into a violent sect, but political connections have always remained" (see Fides 22/11/2011). The fact that Boko Haram also attacks the local Muslim community is an indication that the sect pursues political objectives, and not only religious. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2014)
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest
- 2015-06-03 - Boko Haram hits Maiduguri again
- 2015-06-02 - A priest killed in an attempted robbery
- 2015-06-01 - "Let us pray for the new President" says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-05-29 - The Bishops: "No to mass abortion for girls raped by Boko Haram; we are ready to help"
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped