AFRICA/SOMALIA – Vast offensive against the Shabaab in the south-west of Somalia
Mogadishu (Agenzia Fides) - A major offensive against the Shabaab has allowed to regain a number of places in the south-west of Somalia. Military operations are carried out by the forces of AMISOM (African Union Mission in Somalia), along with some pro-government Somali militia, that have operated in unison with the Ethiopian troops in the area since the end of 2011. The urban centers that have been reconquered are Rabdhure, Hudur and Wajid, while now the efforts of the pro-government troops have focused on the town of Burdhubo.
The Shabaab militia, although formally expelled from Mogadishu, have shown themselves capable of conducting terrorist attacks with a high symbolic impact in the capital, such as the one carried out on February 21 against the presidential building, followed by another on 28 February at a restaurant near the seat of intelligence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2014-07-04 - The first container of medicines of Caritas Somalia and NGO Perigeo on the road to the Somali government
- 2014-06-06 - Children under 5 years of age malnourished and at risk of infectious diseases
- 2014-05-19 - Humanitarian agencies: interventions are urgently needed for the population
- 2014-03-10 - west of Somalia
- 2014-02-27 - 50,000 Somali children at risk for malnutrition and inadequate sanitation
- 2013-10-08 - The work of Annalena Tonelli is still alive 10 years after her murder
- 2013-09-11 - Campaign for the schooling of one million children
- 2013-09-04 - Mgr. Bertin: "I hope in authentic dialogue with regards to the need for everybody to get out of the crisis in Somalia"
- 2013-09-02 - Emergency for women and children in refugee camps
- 2013-06-12 - Instability in southern Somalia