AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay on the situation in the country: "There is no peace without justice"
Maracay (Agenzia Fides) - Everything about peace must be based primarily on the desire for dialogue on both sides, one of the steps to take to have peace is to accept the differences: is what was stated yesterday, Sunday, March 9, by the Bishop of the Diocese of Maracay in Venezuela, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Ramón Conde Alfonzo, referring to the national situation (see Fides 26 and 27/2/2014).
The note sent to Fides Agency reports the Bishop's words: "There are several elements that must be taken into account if you really want peace in Venezuela. One should start from the fact that we all have different ways of thinking, and both parties must accept this reality. To have peace there must be justice, because there can be no peace if there is no justice".
Unfortunately, the climate of violence does not stop in the country: another person died in Merida during yesterday’s clashes. Several mayors of the municipalities near the capital denounced the violent intervention of the police who were demonstrating against the population, warning that now they are losing authority to control the protests. About a month of demonstrations around the Venezuelan territory have caused 21 deaths, while President Maduro has convened a third meeting for next Wednesday. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed