AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay on the situation in the country: "There is no peace without justice"
Maracay (Agenzia Fides) - Everything about peace must be based primarily on the desire for dialogue on both sides, one of the steps to take to have peace is to accept the differences: is what was stated yesterday, Sunday, March 9, by the Bishop of the Diocese of Maracay in Venezuela, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Ramón Conde Alfonzo, referring to the national situation (see Fides 26 and 27/2/2014).
The note sent to Fides Agency reports the Bishop's words: "There are several elements that must be taken into account if you really want peace in Venezuela. One should start from the fact that we all have different ways of thinking, and both parties must accept this reality. To have peace there must be justice, because there can be no peace if there is no justice".
Unfortunately, the climate of violence does not stop in the country: another person died in Merida during yesterday’s clashes. Several mayors of the municipalities near the capital denounced the violent intervention of the police who were demonstrating against the population, warning that now they are losing authority to control the protests. About a month of demonstrations around the Venezuelan territory have caused 21 deaths, while President Maduro has convened a third meeting for next Wednesday. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval
- 2014-04-14 - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
- 2014-04-11 - Pope Francis writes to Venezuelan leaders and opposition ahead of key talks