AMERICA/ARGENTINA - New policies for young people are urgently needed, because "drugs have entered all levels of society"
Neuquen (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Neuquen and First Vice President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, His Exc. Mgr. Virginio Domingo Bressanelli, S.C..I stated that "it would not be a bad idea "for public officials to be subjected to medical examinations to ensure they are not addicted to drugs. The note sent to Fides Agency from a local source, reports that the Bishop has expressed himself with regards to the proposal of the mayor of the town in Argentina, Horacio Quiroga, on the possibility of getting all government officials to undergo a rhinoscopy.
"I think it would be a good idea - said Mgr. Bressanelli - first of all because it is a way to know that the official is a healthy person, then to confirm the confidence of all in this person, since we know that, unfortunately, now drugs have entered all levels of society. In other words it is important to safeguard the health of society" added the Bishop, who then cited as an example the governor of Chubut, who has already taken the test.
The mayor of Neuquén had said in recent days that if the state wants to fight drug trafficking, it must have the moral authority to count healthy people among its members. Mgr. Bressanelli wanted to expand his comment in a note sent to Fides, saying that "he is very concerned that drug use among the young increases every day, and the country lives a really tremendous reality and conflict in this regard" (see Fides 05/05/2014).
"We have to think of new policies to protect children and youth from this scourge. We should also deal with things from an educational point of view, offer something different to the young. Some young people do not see the future, they have no family support, no family, their formation is insufficient and therefore seek happiness in what seems to be the easiest thing", added the Bishop.
Mgr. Bressanelli concludes by highlighting that this problem "is not solved with criminalization and prison. The path must be different, so that children and young people are able to discover the meaning of their lives and future prospects". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2015-09-02 - National Biblical campaign on the 50th anniversary of the "Dei Verbum"
- 2015-09-01 - "We cannot accept violence, we have to react": the Archbishop of Cordoba at the funeral of the murdered priest
- 2015-08-31 - Meeting of the PMS of Cone sur: from Ad Gentes to Evangelii Gaudium
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"