AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - A Seminar for General Secretaries of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa begins today in Johannesburg (South Africa). According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Seminar, organized by the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM/SCEAM), opens with the theme "The role of the national and regional General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences in the processes of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transitions in Africa, in the light of the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortations: Ecclesia in Africa and Aficae Munus".
Delegates will have the task of developing a program for the celebration of the Year of Reconciliation in Africa, in 2015; to share experiences on the role of Secretary Generals about issues related to reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transitions in the light of the Post-Synodal Exhortations mentioned above, as well as a recent Pastoral Letter of SECAM/SCEAM on the topic; to understand the role of modern media, especially social media, within the framework of the activities of evangelization of SECAM/SCEAM.
The Seminar will conclude on March 14. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2015-08-01 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – From Venezuela school material for South African children
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops' appeal: "Priority to the life of the poor people instead of the interests of pharmaceutical companies"
- 2015-07-02 - If these structural issues are not adequately addressed, we shall soon have another Marikana", says "Justice and Peace"
- 2015-06-26 - Presentation of the report on the incidents in Marikana, in 2012: "a horrible tragedy"
- 2015-06-18 - Bishops: 25% increase in electricity prices means the poor will be the ones hardest hit
- 2015-06-17 - South African leadership is accused of xenophobia
- 2015-06-03 - "The President is not liable for any non-security upgrades to his private residence"; Bishops: "we are afraid"
- 2015-05-06 - South African Bishops' donate money for the victims of xenophobic violence
- 2015-04-29 - Police arrest three people in connection with the murder of Sister Stefani Tiefenbacher
- 2015-04-21 - Natal: a life dedicated to poor children for 60 years