AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - A Seminar for General Secretaries of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa begins today in Johannesburg (South Africa). According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Seminar, organized by the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM/SCEAM), opens with the theme "The role of the national and regional General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences in the processes of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transitions in Africa, in the light of the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortations: Ecclesia in Africa and Aficae Munus".
Delegates will have the task of developing a program for the celebration of the Year of Reconciliation in Africa, in 2015; to share experiences on the role of Secretary Generals about issues related to reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transitions in the light of the Post-Synodal Exhortations mentioned above, as well as a recent Pastoral Letter of SECAM/SCEAM on the topic; to understand the role of modern media, especially social media, within the framework of the activities of evangelization of SECAM/SCEAM.
The Seminar will conclude on March 14. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2014-08-21 - "In Gaza, in Iraq and in Syria, we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters
- 2014-05-02 - "Enormous progress on integration, but we need to fight corruption", says Cardinal Napier
- 2014-04-04 - The Bishops: "President, give an explanation of the excessive expenditure on the renovation of your house with public money"
- 2014-03-10 - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross