AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Republic of Paraguay, Horacio Cartes, met with the Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of the Latin American country, gathered for their Ordinary General Assembly to discuss various issues related to the situation of the country. His Exc. Mgr. Adalberto Martínez Flores, Military Ordinary of Paraguay, said in a note sent to Fides Agency that during the meeting, which took place yesterday, March 6, specific issues such as the issue of land, crops, progress, increasing poverty (especially in the rural area) were addressed.
President Horacio Cartes, who had been invited by the Bishops to participate, attended the 199th Ordinary Plenary Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay on the second day, accompanied by some members of his cabinet, including the ministers of Interior, Health and of Justice.
Mgr. Martinez, in the role of spokesperson, judged the efforts made by the government to improve the situation of the country in a positive manner, especially in relation to poverty: "One can do good things, but there is still much to be done in the country", he commented speaking to the media.
By virtue of Church-State relations, pursuant to article 24 of the Constitution of Paraguay and on the basis of independence, autonomy and co-operation, it is normal for the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay to receive civil authorities or request meetings.
In these past days the population expressed its total disagreement on how Carlos Arregui, Deputy Prosecutor of the Anti-Corruption and Economic Crime Unit was removed. Perhaps for this reason, the Attorney General of the State, Javier Diaz Veron, spoke at the first session of the Bishops' Conference on March 5 in order to expose the situation personally, after the concern expressed by the bishops for this surprise removal. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2015-11-04 - "Drug trafficking affects justice in the country", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians