EUROPE/SPAIN - Seven out of ten poor people in the world are women who have no rights and education
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) – Out of 1 billion 300 million people living in extreme poverty around the world, 910 million are women, seven out of ten. In addition, they do not have the same rights and opportunities as men. This is what is reported in a statement from the Spanish NGO Ayuda en Acción that, since 1981, is dedicated to international cooperation for the eradication of poverty through self-sustainable development programs and awareness campaigns among the most vulnerable. Women who live in the poorest Countries of the world, although they produce 70% of food products, do not have even 2% of the arable land, and the fact of being poor, or children living in a conflict zone increases the probability of not having access to education. The situation is worsened by the fact that women marry and get pregnant at an early age and this does not allow many to study or find a job. According to the NGO, over 60 million girls are forced to marry before 18 years of age, a woman dies every minute in the world for preventable complications during pregnancy or childbirth, and 350 million have no access to family planning programs. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"
- 2015-01-09 - Bishops appeal to the government: listen to immigrants before expelling them
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Fund raising Christmas markets in aid of HIV positive and abused children in Zimbabwe
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Missionaries victims of Ebola: we remember our missionaries, what they do and for whom they work
- 2014-10-31 - Alarm tuberculosis: outdated policies will not be able to stop the peak of TB drug-resistant strains
- 2014-10-31 - Caritas Spain receives an award "for the defense of the rights of the people"
- 2014-10-23 - Every year 100,000 Christians die because of religious persecution
- 2014-10-23 - Concerned about "our" problems, while thousands of people die every day
- 2014-10-17 - While 805 million people suffer from hunger, 30% of food is wasted