EUROPE/SPAIN - Seven out of ten poor people in the world are women who have no rights and education
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) – Out of 1 billion 300 million people living in extreme poverty around the world, 910 million are women, seven out of ten. In addition, they do not have the same rights and opportunities as men. This is what is reported in a statement from the Spanish NGO Ayuda en Acción that, since 1981, is dedicated to international cooperation for the eradication of poverty through self-sustainable development programs and awareness campaigns among the most vulnerable. Women who live in the poorest Countries of the world, although they produce 70% of food products, do not have even 2% of the arable land, and the fact of being poor, or children living in a conflict zone increases the probability of not having access to education. The situation is worsened by the fact that women marry and get pregnant at an early age and this does not allow many to study or find a job. According to the NGO, over 60 million girls are forced to marry before 18 years of age, a woman dies every minute in the world for preventable complications during pregnancy or childbirth, and 350 million have no access to family planning programs. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
- 2015-05-21 - Hunger is not inevitable: 350 thousand children in the world against child malnutrition
- 2015-05-21 - Support for an alternative model for the regional economy developed by Caritas
- 2015-05-13 - Minerals, cause of conflicts in the world: NGOs ask the EU for "a strong law"
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"